[ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 3.2 (beta) is now available for downloading at
	http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/ftp/lua-3.2-beta.tar.gz
	ftp://ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/lua-3.2-beta.tar.gz

The Canadian mirror seems to be down right now, but when it comes up,
the software will also be available at
	http://csg.uwaterloo.ca/lua/ftp/lua-3.2-beta.tar.gz
	ftp://csg.uwaterloo.ca/pub/lhf/lua/lua.tar.gz

The other mirrors will be updated soon, hopefully.

The distribution includes an updated reference manual in HTML.
The PostScript version in the site is still for version 3.1.

* New in version 3.2beta
  -----------------------
  + redirected all output in Lua's core to _ERRORMESSAGE and _ALERT
  + increased limit on the number of constants and globals per function
    (from 2^16 to 2^24).
  + debugging info (lua_debug and hooks) moved into lua_state.
    new API functions provided to get and set this info.
  + new debug lib gives full debugging access within Lua
  + new table functions "foreachi", "sort", "tinsert", "tremove", "getn"
  + new io functions "flush", "seek"
  + added lua_userinit hook so that sample interpreter can be easily reused
    and user has control over which libraries are loaded.

Please send your comments to us at [hidden email].
Thanks.
--
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo       TeCGraf/PUC-Rio        [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Michael T. Richter-2
At 11:03 AM 4/26/99 , you wrote:
>* New in version 3.2beta
>  -----------------------
>  + redirected all output in Lua's core to _ERRORMESSAGE and _ALERT
>  + increased limit on the number of constants and globals per function
>    (from 2^16 to 2^24).
>  + debugging info (lua_debug and hooks) moved into lua_state.
>    new API functions provided to get and set this info.
>  + new debug lib gives full debugging access within Lua
>  + new table functions "foreachi", "sort", "tinsert", "tremove", "getn"
>  + new io functions "flush", "seek"
>  + added lua_userinit hook so that sample interpreter can be easily reused
>    and user has control over which libraries are loaded.

Have you taken steps toward making Unicode-enabled Lua implementations?
(I.e. have references to char* et al been replaced with typedefs permitting
global replacement with wchar*, etc.?)

I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

--
Michael T. Richter    <[hidden email]>    http://www.igs.net/~mtr/
          PGP Key: http://www.igs.net/~mtr/pgp-key.html
PGP Fingerprint: 40D1 33E0 F70B 6BB5 8353 4669 B4CC DD09 04ED 4FE8

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Alan Watson-2
> I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
> devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
> Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

UTF is not an option?

Regards,

Alan
-- 
Dr Alan Watson
Instituto de Astronomía UNAM

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
>From: "Michael T. Richter" <[hidden email]>
>
>Have you taken steps toward making Unicode-enabled Lua implementations?
>(I.e. have references to char* et al been replaced with typedefs permitting
>global replacement with wchar*, etc.?)

not yet, but we haven't dismissed it.

>I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
>devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
>Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

we'll probably have the same problem, only the code will be more familiar to us.

I hope this does not stop you form using Lua.
--lhf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Michael T. Richter-2
In reply to this post by Alan Watson-2
At 01:10 PM 4/26/99 , you wrote:
>> I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
>> devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
>> Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

>UTF is not an option?

CE APIs are (mostly) militantly Unicode.  Opening a file, for example,
requires a Unicode file name.  The vast majority of places where one would
ordinarily see char* in the footprint require wchar* in CE.

--
Michael T. Richter    <[hidden email]>    http://www.igs.net/~mtr/
          PGP Key: http://www.igs.net/~mtr/pgp-key.html
PGP Fingerprint: 40D1 33E0 F70B 6BB5 8353 4669 B4CC DD09 04ED 4FE8

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Michael T. Richter-2
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
At 01:15 PM 4/26/99 , you wrote:
>>Have you taken steps toward making Unicode-enabled Lua implementations?
>>(I.e. have references to char* et al been replaced with typedefs permitting
>>global replacement with wchar*, etc.?)

>not yet, but we haven't dismissed it.

Thanks.

>>I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
>>devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
>>Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

>we'll probably have the same problem, only the code will be more familiar to 
>us.

That was sort of my point.  :-)  I've tried making Unicode-safe code from
unfamiliar source before.  It is a non-trivial exercise if you don't have a
good grasp of the overall picture.  Knowing when things have to be char*
(Lua's byte-codes?) and when things have to be treated as
platform-independent strings (file names, for a dirt-simple example)
requires a good understanding of the architecture.

>I hope this does not stop you form using Lua.

Nope.  I use it under Windows NT (which supplies ASCII shadows for almost
all of its Unicode functions).

--
Michael T. Richter    <[hidden email]>    http://www.igs.net/~mtr/
          PGP Key: http://www.igs.net/~mtr/pgp-key.html
PGP Fingerprint: 40D1 33E0 F70B 6BB5 8353 4669 B4CC DD09 04ED 4FE8

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Julian Back
In reply to this post by Michael T. Richter-2
> I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
> devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
> Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

I've got Lua 3.1 running on Windows CE, but only using 8 bit characters 
internally and converting to/from Unicode for Windows CE API calls.

I was going to make this available when I've had more time to tidy it up (I 
don't know when that will be) but if you'd like it I can email you a copy.

Julian Back

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.2 (beta) now available

Michael T. Richter-2
At 01:48 PM 4/26/99 , you wrote:
>> I'd really like to use Lua as an embedded "glue" language for Windows CE
>> devices, but the prospect of inspecting every line of unfamiliar code for
>> Unicode support just gives me the shivers!  :-)

>I've got Lua 3.1 running on Windows CE, but only using 8 bit characters 
>internally and converting to/from Unicode for Windows CE API calls.

>I was going to make this available when I've had more time to tidy it up (I 
>don't know when that will be) but if you'd like it I can email you a copy.

That won't quite meet my needs.  I would really like Lua's native strings
to be Unicode to prevent some potentially horrendous string conversion
overhead in accessing the registry.  Thank you kindly for the offer,
however.  It is appreciated.

--
Michael T. Richter    <[hidden email]>    http://www.igs.net/~mtr/
          PGP Key: http://www.igs.net/~mtr/pgp-key.html
PGP Fingerprint: 40D1 33E0 F70B 6BB5 8353 4669 B4CC DD09 04ED 4FE8