[ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.0 alpha

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
version 3.0 is now available for alpha testing at the usual sites (see below).
the documentation and the tests have not been updated yet.

the purpose of this release is to make sure that no programs have been broken.
please test it and send us your comments.
--lhf

* Changes since version 2.5 (no versions between 2.5 and 3.0)
  + NEW CONCEPT: internal methods based on tags replace fallbacks
    (but fully compatible with 2.5)
  + new, general syntax for constructors {[exp] = exp, ... }
  + userdata can now handle arbitrary binary data
  + support for handling variable number of arguments in functions (varargs)
  + support for conditional compilation ($if ... $else ... $end)
  + better support for writing libraries (auxlib.h)
  + luac can now also undump

* Availability
  The latest version of Lua is always available at the following locations:
  In Brazil:	ftp://ftp.icad.puc-rio.br/pub/lua/lua.tar.gz
  In Canada:	ftp://csg.uwaterloo.ca/pub/lhf/lua/lua.tar.gz
  In Germany:	ftp://ftp.uni-trier.de/pub/languages/lua/lua.tar.gz
  In Greece:	ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/lang/lua/lua.tar.gz
  Home page:	http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lua.html
  The current version is 3.0alpha

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.0 alpha

Mark Ian Barlow
Nothing of mine broke with 3.0alpha (though I haven't soak-tested anything
yet), but I'm dying to know what's new, and what I should change! lua.h
looks interesting; all those deprecated prototypes and macros... Hmmm.

--  Mark Ian Barlow                Non-Linear Control Consultants Ltd.
    [hidden email]            Voice / Fax: +44 (0)1207 562 154

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 3.0 alpha

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo-2
>From [hidden email] Mon Apr 14 19:53:24 1997
>
>Nothing of mine broke with 3.0alpha (though I haven't soak-tested anything

That's good. Nothing should break, but we want to make sure.

>yet), but I'm dying to know what's new, and what I should change! lua.h
>looks interesting; all those deprecated prototypes and macros... Hmmm.

Look at HISTORY.
Essentially, fallbacks have been replaced by the more powerful internal
methods, which are defined on a tag basis.
You had a "getglobal" fb. Now you have also a "setglobal" fb.
Plus set/get methods for thables that are more general than the "index" and
"gettable" fb's.
This is the major language change, except for a very nice general syntax for
constructors
	a={10,20,30; [0]=0, ["lua"]="3.0", [print]=print }
--lhf