[ANNOUNCE] LTN 3 - Interfacing Lua to an operating system

[ANNOUNCE] LTN 3 - Interfacing Lua to an operating system

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
My plea for user-contributed Lua Technical Notes worked!
Gavin Wraith has sent us an LTN about interfacing Lua with an OS.
See http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/notes/ltn003.html

Thanks Gavin. I hope this motivates other people to share their experiences.
--lhf

rje

Re: [ANNOUNCE] LTN 3 - Interfacing Lua to an operating system

rje
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 02:36:18PM -0200, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> My plea for user-contributed Lua Technical Notes worked!
> Gavin Wraith has sent us an LTN about interfacing Lua with an OS.
> See http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/notes/ltn003.html
>
> Thanks Gavin. I hope this motivates other people to share their experiences.

It's an interesting article (myself being a RISC OS person) to read.  It's
worth noting though, that I've happily had programs in Lua be pre-emptivly
multitasked with no trouble at all.  Also, my own efforts in allowing
programs written in Lua to call SWIs (RiscLua doesn't come in library form,
so it can't be included in other programs easily) actually create a SWI
instruction to call, rather than using OS_CallASWI.  Although OS_CallASWI is
more 'correct', it doesn't tend to be available in earlier versions of RISC
OS (anything before 3.7, IIRC).

It's nice to see these notes; I'll have to see if I can knock a couple up :)

--
Rob Kendrick - http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Keep emotionally active.  Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] LTN 3 - Interfacing Lua to an operating system

Reuben Thomas-3
> It's an interesting article (myself being a RISC OS person) to read.  It's
> worth noting though, that I've happily had programs in Lua be pre-emptivly
> multitasked with no trouble at all.  Also, my own efforts in allowing
> programs written in Lua to call SWIs (RiscLua doesn't come in library form,
> so it can't be included in other programs easily) actually create a SWI
> instruction to call, rather than using OS_CallASWI.  Although OS_CallASWI is
> more 'correct', it doesn't tend to be available in earlier versions of RISC
> OS (anything before 3.7, IIRC).

A little off-topic, but there is a CallASWI module that allows versions of
RISC OS back to 3.1 to use OS_CallASWI. It's only about 500 bytes long.

More on-topic-ly, I'm writing an LTN about interfacing Lua to other
languages, based on my experience with OPL. (Since I was the person who
complained about the lack of LTNs in the first place, this seemed only
fair!)

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | maxim, n.  wisdom for fools