[ANN] wxlua release 3.1.0.0

Paul K-2
Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce the release of v3.1.0.0 of wxlua [1]. wxlua is
a Lua binding for the cross-platform wxWidgets GUI toolkit.

This release adds support for Lua 5.4 (in addition to Lua 5.1+ and
LuaJIT support), implements several new classes (wxDataViewCtrl,
wxTranslations), includes a large number of improvements/fixes, and
has been tested on the most recent version of wxwidgets (3.1.4) and
its current master branch.

The complete list of the changes in this version (and other 8 releases
since my last announcement more than a year ago) is available in the
repository [2].

I don't have any precompiled binaries (and don't plan to provide
them), but am exploring adding github actions to compile them on
Windows/macOS/Linux, so if anyone has experience with those and can
contribute working scripts, open a PR or an issue to collaborate. I
also don't have Lua 5.3 and Lua 5.4 code included in the wxlua source
tree, but will consider including it if it's needed to simplify the
binary generation.

Let me know if you run into any issues with it or have any other
feedback. Thank you for your support and contributions to the project.

Paul.

[1] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua
[2] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/changelog.md

Building wxLua (wx.dll) with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, both for x32 and 64b machine

Luk Pro
Hello Paul,

I'd need to build wxLua in both x32 and 64b version, and for testing purposes also with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, all Win7/WinX, and all using MS Visual Studio (e.g. with MSVC 2008 - which I have installed on my comp).

(IOW, the goal is to be able to use "require 'wx'" in my Lua scripts, witch option to use wx.dll targeted to Lua 5.1 or 5.3, x32 or 64b build, under Windows.)

You state [0] that you don't plan to put any binaries onto web; so to make wxLua work (and to compile + link wx.dll successfuly) do I have to:

1. download wxWidgets binaries [1] - either straightly or download wxWidgets source and compile them into wxWidget DLLs;

2. get wxLua source [2b]
        - note that [2b] refers to [3], where there is a highlighted statement "Latest wxLua version is: » 2.8.12.3 «", which beats with that on [2a] (wxLua ver. 3+);

3. download and install/setup CMake [4];

4. use CMake to create MSVC project files for wxLua, i.e. .dsp/.dsw or .vcproj/.sln project/solution files;

5. use MSVC combined with .dsp/.vcproj to build wxLua DLLs.

My humble questions:

a) Do I understand or did I deduce the whole process correctly?

b) Would it be possible to fix the ambiguities between latest wxLua version stated on [2a] and [3]?

c) As you don't plan to add wxLua binaries onto your github, would it be possible to place .dsp/.vcproj (built by CMake on your side) onto your github, for MSVC users to avoid individual installing and investigating CMake as .vcproj "mid-provider" for wxLua MSVC project?

Best regards,

Lukas

[1] e.g. https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.1.4/wxMSW-3.1.4_vc14x_ReleaseDLL.7z
[2a] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua
[2b] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/install.md#41---getting-the-wxlua-source-code
[3] http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/download.php
[4] https://cmake.org/download/

[1] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua
[2] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/changelog.md[https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/changelog.md]

Re: Building wxLua (wx.dll) with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, both for x32 and 64b machine

Paul K-2
Hi Lukas,

> a) Do I understand or did I deduce the whole process correctly?

Yes, with a couple of caveats: (1) you need to compile wxWidgets from
source, as you won't be able to use their binaries, and (2) you need
to get the wxlua source from https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/tags
(or get the latest source from the master branch)

> b) Would it be possible to fix the ambiguities between latest wxLua version stated on [2a] and [3]?

Yes, if I can figure out how to update [3]. I'll update the text in
[2b] to point to [2a], as this is the currently supported source.

> c) As you don't plan to add wxLua binaries onto your github, would it be possible to place .dsp/.vcproj (built by CMake on your side) onto your github, for MSVC users to avoid individual installing and investigating CMake as .vcproj "mid-provider" for wxLua MSVC project?

I'm not sure how to do this, as I don't use MSVC; if you want to
contribute a patch, please open a ticket or CR, but you would still
need cmake to run the rest of the steps.

There are 32bit wxlua binaries that ship for all versions of Lua with
ZeroBrane Studio
(https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio/tree/master/bin; see
clibs* folders; although these are built with Mingw) and there is a
build script in build/ folder that will get the sources and does all
the necessary steps to build wxlua (you'd need to have `make` and
`bash` available and remove `-G "MSYS Makefiles"` from build-win32.sh
to use MSVC).

Paul.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:33 AM Luk Pro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> them), but am exploring adding github actions to compile them on
> Windows/macOS/Linux, so if anyone has experience with those and can
> contribute working scripts, open a PR or an issue to collaborate. I
> also don't have Lua 5.3 and Lua 5.4 code included in the wxlua source
> tree, but will consider including it if it's needed to simplify the
> binary generation.
>
> Let me know if you run into any issues with it or have any other
> feedback. Thank you for your support and contributions to the project.
>
> Paul.
>
> [1] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua
> [2] https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/changelog.md[https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/blob/master/wxLua/docs/changelog.md]

Re: Building wxLua (wx.dll) with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, both for x32 and 64b machine

Ką Mykolas
Well, MSVC or Mingw :}

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:52 AM Paul K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure how to do this, as I don't use MSVC; if you want to
> contribute a patch, please open a ticket or CR, but you would still
> need cmake to run the rest of the steps.

Re: Building wxLua (wx.dll) with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, both for x32 and 64b machine

Luk Pro
Hello Paul,

I'm still struggling with building wx Lua module -

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:47:32 +0200, Paul K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, with a couple of caveats: (1) you need to compile wxWidgets from
> source, as you won't be able to use their binaries,

OK, I did (I believe) - now I have a lot of .lib and .dll in the

        wxWidgets\lib\vc_lib\...
and
        wxWidgets\lib\vc_dll\...

directories.

> and (2) you need
> to get the wxlua source from https://github.com/pkulchenko/wxlua/tags
> (or get the latest source from the master branch)

Yes, I got it.

The main problem now is that the (MSVC) linker is missing some symbols (there are also some more errors, but for now -)

wxldserv.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "wchar_t const * const wxEmptyString" (?wxEmptyString@@3PB_WB)
wxldtarg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "wchar_t const * const wxEmptyString" (?wxEmptyString@@3PB_WB)

The symbol

        "wchar_t const * const wxEmptyString" (?wxEmptyString@@3PB_WB)

is missing.

Where - in which .lib or .dll of wxWidgets - is the symbol supposed to be defined/exported to?

(Note also that I used CMake to get the initial .sln for building the wx Lua module; I ran it after I had wxWidgets libs compiled.)

Best regards,

Lukas

Re: Building wxLua (wx.dll) with Lua 5.1 and 5.3, both for x32 and 64b machine

Paul K-2
Hi Luk,

> The symbol
>        "wchar_t const * const wxEmptyString" (?wxEmptyString@@3PB_WB)
> is missing.

wxEmptyString is a global instance of an empty string; see
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.1/interface_2wx_2string_8h.html#a9a321d587166a30017b608dd2d234033

I'm not sure why it would be missing, as it appears to be a part of
`baselib_stringimpl.o` file, which then gets included in something
like libwx_baseu-3.1.a (the exact name depends on your wxwidgets
configuration).

Paul.