[ANN] lua-protobuf 0.2

Xavier Wang
hi List,

I'm very happy to announce that the second version of lua-protobuf
released, it's a nearly fully rewritten verison with full coverage
test for encode/decode protobuf wire format data in Lua. new features
are:

- new pb.pack/unpack lower level interface
- a pure Lua module for compile proto file into *.pb file format
- complete coverage test and documents.

To install, just use luarocks:
luarocks install lua-protobuf

It releases with the same license as Lua itself, and all feedbacks welcome.
project page: https://github.com/starwing/lua-protobuf

--
regards,
Xavier Wang.

Re: [ANN] lua-protobuf 0.2

Dibyendu Majumdar
Hi,

On 28 January 2018 at 16:20, Xavier Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm very happy to announce that the second version of lua-protobuf
> released, it's a nearly fully rewritten verison with full coverage
> test for encode/decode protobuf wire format data in Lua. new features
> are:
>
> - new pb.pack/unpack lower level interface
> - a pure Lua module for compile proto file into *.pb file format
> - complete coverage test and documents.

This is great news - but please would you make clear which version of
protobuf is supported? Ideally this should be clear in the front page.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu

Re: [ANN] lua-protobuf 0.2

Xavier Wang

> Hi,
>
> On 28 January 2018 at 16:20, Xavier Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm very happy to announce that the second version of lua-protobuf
>> released, it's a nearly fully rewritten verison with full coverage
>> test for encode/decode protobuf wire format data in Lua. new features
>> are:
>>
>> - new pb.pack/unpack lower level interface
>> - a pure Lua module for compile proto file into *.pb file format
>> - complete coverage test and documents.
>>

> This is great news - but please would you make clear which version of
> protobuf is supported? Ideally this should be clear in the front page.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Dibyendu

Sorry for that, because it's now support both protobuf 2 & 3, so I
think no need to specify it :-)

It now support map and oneof and all proto 3 syntax, and makes
protobuf2 compatible.

--
regards,
Xavier Wang.

Re: [ANN] lua-protobuf 0.2

Dibyendu Majumdar
Hi,

On 28 January 2018 at 16:33, Xavier Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for that, because it's now support both protobuf 2 & 3, so I
> think no need to specify it :-)
>
> It now support map and oneof and all proto 3 syntax, and makes
> protobuf2 compatible.

Okay cool. I use protobuf3 and so if I wanted to just use this for
protobuf3 would it work? I mean the does it interoperate with
protobuf3 messages written in other languages?

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu

Re: [ANN] lua-protobuf 0.2

Xavier Wang

> Hi,
>
> On 28 January 2018 at 16:33, Xavier Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry for that, because it's now support both protobuf 2 & 3, so I
>> think no need to specify it :-)
>>
>> It now support map and oneof and all proto 3 syntax, and makes
>> protobuf2 compatible.
>>

> Okay cool. I use protobuf3 and so if I wanted to just use this for
> protobuf3 would it work? I mean the does it interoperate with
> protobuf3 messages written in other languages?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Dibyendu

It's exactly just used to communicate with the other languages :-)
In fact, we use erlang on server, so it should at least interoperate
well with erlang's gpb.

--
regards,
Xavier Wang.