[ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Daurnimator
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce the second release of lua-http.

lua-http is a library that hopes to provide all HTTP operations you
should ever need.
In addition to all the low-level parsing and serialising operations
you might expect,
lua-http provides high level interfaces for writing your own HTTP
server or performing HTTP requests.

This is mostly a bugfix release. Included in this release:

  - Remove broken http.server `.client_timeout` option (replaced with
`.connection_setup_timeout`)
  - Fix http1 pipelining locks
  - Miscellaneous http2 fixes
  - HTTP 2 streams no longer have to be used in order of creation
  - No longer raise decode errors in hpack module
  - Fix `hpack:lookup_index()` to treat static entries without values
as empty string
  - Fix HTTP 1 client in locales with non-"." decimal separator
  - Add h1_stream.max_header_lines property to prevent infinite list of headers
  - New '.bind' option for requests and http.client module

Links:
  - Release page: https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http/releases/tag/v0.2
  - Homepage: https://daurnimator.github.io/lua-http/
  - Documentation: https://daurnimator.github.io/lua-http/0.2
  - Me: http://daurnimator.com/

Enjoy!

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Martin
On 05/27/2017 10:57 PM, Daurnimator wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce the second release of lua-http.
>
> lua-http is a library that hopes to provide all HTTP operations you
> should ever need.
> In addition to all the low-level parsing and serialising operations
> you might expect,
> lua-http provides high level interfaces for writing your own HTTP
> server or performing HTTP requests.

Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
currently uses wget for retrieving file).

Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?

-- Martin

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Russell Haley
Unrelated projects.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.
On 05/27/2017 10:57 PM, Daurnimator wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce the second release of lua-http.
>
> lua-http is a library that hopes to provide all HTTP operations you
> should ever need.
> In addition to all the low-level parsing and serialising operations
> you might expect,
> lua-http provides high level interfaces for writing your own HTTP
> server or performing HTTP requests.

Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
currently uses wget for retrieving file).

Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?

-- Martin

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Charles Heywood
If you use lua-http alongside cqueues, I personally feel it's close to being on-par with luasocket. Luasocket has a few more features that could be added by separate additional, external modules, while cqueues has a better looking asynchronous design and other features, such as threading.

On Mon, May 29, 2017, 15:51 Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/27/2017 10:57 PM, Daurnimator wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce the second release of lua-http.
>
> lua-http is a library that hopes to provide all HTTP operations you
> should ever need.
> In addition to all the low-level parsing and serialising operations
> you might expect,
> lua-http provides high level interfaces for writing your own HTTP
> server or performing HTTP requests.

Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
currently uses wget for retrieving file).

Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?

-- Martin

Software Developer / System Administrator

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Lee Hickey

Thank you!

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Daurnimator
On 30 May 2017 at 16:49, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
> currently uses wget for retrieving file).

Great! Let us know how you go :)

> Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question.
lua-http uses the "cqueues" library for socket operations as well as
concurrency.
However lua-http does provide a module (http.compat.socket) that
emulates the behaviour of luasocket's http module so that you can
easily swap in lua-http to an existing project.

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Adrian Perez de Castro
On Sun, 28 May 2017 15:57:19 +1000, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm happy to announce the second release of lua-http.

\o/

Congratulations on the release, coming from a fan of lua-http :-)
Thanks a lot for the effort you have put into writing it.

--
 💻 Adrián

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Hisham
On 30 May 2017 at 04:54, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 30 May 2017 at 16:49, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
>> currently uses wget for retrieving file).
>
> Great! Let us know how you go :)
>
>> Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

I think he meant "is it a competitor" ('concorrente' in Portuguese
translates both to 'concurrent' and 'competitor').

> lua-http uses the "cqueues" library for socket operations as well as
> concurrency.
> However lua-http does provide a module (http.compat.socket) that
> emulates the behaviour of luasocket's http module so that you can
> easily swap in lua-http to an existing project.

Oh, it does!? Nice! I didn't find this last time I looked at lua-http
(late last year?) and gave up on the library while reading the
extensive documentation and not being able to quickly find out how to
do the equivalent to wget("http://example.com/file.tar.gz").

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] lua-http 0.2 release

Russell Haley
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 May 2017 at 04:54, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 30 May 2017 at 16:49, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thank you for sharing! Going to try it in forecoming project (which
>>> currently uses wget for retrieving file).
>>
>> Great! Let us know how you go :)
>>
>>> Is this module a concurrent for luasocket?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by this question.
>
> I think he meant "is it a competitor" ('concorrente' in Portuguese
> translates both to 'concurrent' and 'competitor').
>
>> lua-http uses the "cqueues" library for socket operations as well as
>> concurrency.
>> However lua-http does provide a module (http.compat.socket) that
>> emulates the behaviour of luasocket's http module so that you can
>> easily swap in lua-http to an existing project.
>
> Oh, it does!? Nice! I didn't find this last time I looked at lua-http
> (late last year?) and gave up on the library while reading the
> extensive documentation and not being able to quickly find out how to
> do the equivalent to wget("http://example.com/file.tar.gz").

https://daurnimator.github.io/lua-http/0.2/#common-use-cases

https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http/blob/master/examples/simple_request.lua

Yes, the documentation is a little impenetrable from a new user
perspective. There was a conscious decision to not include examples as
the documentation was intended more as a reference (IIRC, which I
often don't). There were/are plans for more user example documentation
but I've become somewhat side tracked. Maybe we could have pointed the
user to the examples directory, though I don't know how that gets
installed via luarocks as I usually pull from git? Anyway, all
documentation feedback including sticks and stones are gladly
welcomed. Perhaps time for a how-to section now...

Russ