[ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Dirk Laurie-2
I'm pleased to announce the latest release of lua-foo: version 0.4.
If you don't know what it does just from the name alone, you will
probably not be interested in it.

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Alexander Gladysh
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the latest release of lua-foo: version 0.4.
> If you don't know what it does just from the name alone, you will
> probably not be interested in it.

Congratulations on the release!

Incidentally, you may want to rename your project to, say, lua-foobar
— lua-foo seems to be a some kind of WoW plugin.

With best regards,
Alexander.

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

liam mail

On Thursday, 18 October 2012, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the latest release of lua-foo: version 0.4.
> If you don't know what it does just from the name alone, you will
> probably not be interested in it.

I guess that I am missing something and this is intended to be the most pointless announcement ever ?

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Dirk Laurie-2

Have a look at some other recent [ANN] messages.

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

liam mail

On Thursday, 18 October 2012, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2012/10/18 liam mail <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Thursday, 18 October 2012, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm pleased to announce the latest release of lua-foo: version 0.4.
>>> If you don't know what it does just from the name alone, you will
>>> probably not be interested in it.
>>>

>> I guess that I am missing something and this is intended to be the most
>> pointless announcement ever ?
>
> Have a look at some other recent [ANN] messages.

Sorry, you will need to be more specific as I actually look at a lot of the announcements when they are tweeted which is how I became aware of this. The only one I have an issue with is this as you used the [ANN] prefix.

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Rob Hoelz-2
On 10/18/12 10:52 AM, liam mail wrote:

On Thursday, 18 October 2012, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2012/10/18 liam mail <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Thursday, 18 October 2012, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm pleased to announce the latest release of lua-foo: version 0.4.
>>> If you don't know what it does just from the name alone, you will
>>> probably not be interested in it.
>>>

>> I guess that I am missing something and this is intended to be the most
>> pointless announcement ever ?
>
> Have a look at some other recent [ANN] messages.

Sorry, you will need to be more specific as I actually look at a lot of the announcements when they are tweeted which is how I became aware of this. The only one I have an issue with is this as you used the [ANN] prefix.

Since the most recent [ANN] message on lua-l is my lua-repl release, I'm guessing the original message is directed at me, at least partly.  I admit that in my excitement to announce the latest release of lua-repl (which is a library for embedding a Lua REPL within another program), I did indeed forget to clarify what lua-repl actually *is*.  Please forgive this oversight.

However, I would appreciate a more direct approach next time; a kind e-mail to the original poster (whether as a reply to them only, or to the list) asking them to clarify would be much preferred.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Wolfgang Pupp-2
2012/10/18 liam mail <[hidden email]>:
> I guess that I am missing something and this is intended to be the most
> pointless announcement ever ?

I don't get it either. I have no clue what lua-foo actually does, and
couldn't even find out where it's hosted- some kind of inside joke
maybe? (google just comes up with the announcements themselves and lua
example code :/)

It would be very nice if there was a short description and a link
inside announcements, always; having to google it often makes the
small difference between trying a new project out and ignoring it, at
least for me...

--Wolfgang

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

steve donovan
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Wolfgang Pupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be very nice if there was a short description and a link
> inside announcements, always;

Oh yes, but Dirk was trying to be funny, and either came across as
obscurely sarcastic or just plain obscure.

(Cross-cultural humour is not easy in ASCII)

steve d.

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

Enrico Colombini
On 18/10/2012 12.48, steve donovan wrote:
> (Cross-cultural humour is not easy in ASCII)

Someone should design CCSCII (Cross-Cultural Standard Code for
Information Interchange).

   Enrico

Re: [ANN] lua-foo 0.4

David Given
steve donovan wrote:
[...]
> Oh yes, but Dirk was trying to be funny, and either came across as
> obscurely sarcastic or just plain obscure.
>
> (Cross-cultural humour is not easy in ASCII)

This is what Monty Python references are for!

...back on topic: there's enough stuff announced on the list these days
that it would actually make sense to have a bot which notices messages
with [ANN] in the title and does some simple parsing to figure out the
author, title, version and URL, and then updates the wiki (or some other
website). That way then not only do we get an automatically up-to-date
list of interesting Lua projects, but it could also politely prompt
people who forget to include such information.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "Parents let children ride bicycles on the street. But parents do not