Quantcast

[ANN] MSI Installer for PUC-Lua Proof Of Concept

[ANN] MSI Installer for PUC-Lua Proof Of Concept

Russell Haley
Links and Installation:

Sources - https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer

Demo Installer  -
https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer/tree/master/PUC-Lua%20Installer/bin/Debug

License: FreeBSD

So a friend of mine asked for some help getting started in Lua on
Windows and it was disappointing how disjointed the process feels. So,
because I'm a nerd, I grabbed Mr. joedf's binary git repository and
used the files from there to generate solution files for a Windows
installer. It's all very hard coded and wrong and I have no pretence
about keeping the name, but I had to call it something. It even says
it installs 5.3.3 and installs 5.3.4!

Please note that no small animals were harmed and no "paid for"
Microsoft products were used in the making of this project. The system
uses a free MSI toolset called WIX and I created the project using
SharpDevelop 5.

If there is any interest in me perusing this project further, my next
steps are as follows:

0.5) Work out what it will be called
1) Bundle LuaRocks in the current proof of concept
2) Create some scripts to go wget the binaries/archives/zips and
assemble the paths (and what not) and run the build script.
3) Add a "install features" element that will then use Luarocks to
install some base features. The idea is a "curated" list of basic
tools for a novice, who could then delve into the fabulous world of
LuaRocks afterwards.
4) Figure out how or where to host the "build system" and the download
site (GitHub? Sorceforge? Hey, it's still a thing!). OR hand the whole
thing off to someone with more desire to maintain this (Mr. Joedf ?)
as it's nothing but a curiosity gone horribly wrong.

Still outstanding is what documentation to link to as well.

Either way, comments, suggestions, insults, sticks and/or stones are welcome.

Thanks,

Russell Haley

Russell Haley

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Luiz Romário Santana Rios
> Links and Installation:
>
> Sources - https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer
>
> Demo Installer -
> https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer/tree/master/PUC-Lua%20Installer/bin/Debug

I just tested it on Windows xp. The installer works fine, but the Lua
binary fails to run. If you want it to run on xp, you
should set the following env var while compiling Lua:

LDFLAGS=/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01

If you don't care about xp, though, I think the installer should fail there.

Luiz Romário Santana Rios

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Charles Heywood
To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line already and is no longer getting security updates, right?

--
Luiz Romário Santana Rios

Software Developer / System Administrator

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Jonathan Goble
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Charles Heywood <[hidden email]> wrote:
To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line already and is no longer getting security updates, right?

Correct. XP reached end of life in April 2014, and thus no longer receives security updates.

As of last month, the same also applies to Vista, though of course that received next to no attention because Vista sucks and practically nobody still uses it.

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Hisham
On 14 May 2017 at 16:32, Jonathan Goble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Charles Heywood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line
>> already and is no longer getting security updates, right?
>
> Correct. XP reached end of life in April 2014, and thus no longer receives
> security updates.

Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
against the WannaCry ransomware worm:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb

...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
platform in practical terms.

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Tony Papadimitriou
I don’t suppose you work for MS, do you :)

One good reason is that the majority of people in some countries with very low average income (e.g., UA in Easter Europe) cannot afford to upgrade away from XP any time soon as this means buying a new PC.  Why make it impossible for them to use Lua?

To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line already and is no longer getting security updates, right?

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Russell Haley
This is part of the 'it's all broken' comment. I only added the 64 bit binary but it puts it in x86. ‎Tee hee.

I'll add an installer for 32 bit to my list of things todo (or an option to select platform).

Russ

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.

--
Luiz Romário Santana Rios

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 May 2017 at 16:32, Jonathan Goble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Charles Heywood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line
>> already and is no longer getting security updates, right?
>
> Correct. XP reached end of life in April 2014, and thus no longer receives
> security updates.

Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
against the WannaCry ransomware worm:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb

...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
platform in practical terms.

-- Hisham

I saw that. That's highly, highly unusual, as it's the first update in three years for XP. But you're right that it is basically an admission by Microsoft that XP is still practically relevant despite being officially dead for three years.

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Egor Skriptunoff-2

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Charles Heywood wrote:
To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line already and is no longer getting security updates, right?

Exposing your Windows to internet is not a good idea even if you have all "security updates".
WinXP is still in use because it is the most comfortable Windows ever created by MS.
Usually, little efforts are required to add compatibility of programs you write with WinXP.

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

彭 书呆
在 2017/5/15 5:05, Jonathan Goble 写道:

> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Hisham <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 14 May 2017 at 16:32, Jonathan Goble <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Charles Heywood <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      > wrote:
>      >>
>      >> To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line
>      >> already and is no longer getting security updates, right?
>      >
>      > Correct. XP reached end of life in April 2014, and thus no longer receives
>      > security updates.
>
>     Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
>     against the WannaCry ransomware worm:
>
>     https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb
>
>     ...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
>     platform in practical terms.
>
>     -- Hisham
>

> I saw that. That's highly, highly unusual, as it's the first update in three years for XP. But you're right that it is basically an admission by Microsoft that XP is still practically relevant despite being officially dead for three years.

they release the patch not because they want to support XP users, but mainly because if an XP machine got
infected by the worm, all other Windows machines in the same network will suffer. so they had to release
the patch for XP system.

so yes, although MS tried very hard to persuade users to abandon XP, in reality there are still enough users
that MS just can't simply ignore them.

the nerdy Peng / 书呆彭 /

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Enrico Colombini
On 14-May-17 23:05, Jonathan Goble wrote:

>> Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
>> against the WannaCry ransomware worm:
>>

>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb
>>
>> ...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
>> platform in practical terms.
>>
>> -- Hisham
>>
> I saw that. That's highly, highly unusual, as it's the first update in
> three years for XP. But you're right that it is basically an admission by
> Microsoft that XP is still practically relevant despite being officially
> dead for three years.

There are places where XP is quite costly to replace, especially
industrial machinery and lab instrumentation whose drivers for custom
interfaces does not work under more recent OS versions... and the maker
just says "buy the latest model" (x00000 euros).

Of course the wisdom of using a short-life consumer operating system on
machines built to last 30+ years is questionable.

   Enrico

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Russell Haley
So I'm starting to see the complications now. The 64 bit binary "just
works" on Window 10, but the 32 bit seems to still require mingw
(Error message "The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is
missing from your computer"). Using various VCRedist packages
(2008,2010,2017) against joefds' binaries wasn't effective (had to
try). I could look at linking the mingw installer into my PUC-Lua
installer or ...

The other possibility is to try Visual Studio 2017. From what I can
tell the VS 2015 and 2017 release includes the C library support that
made mingw a requirement (if you trust a C# developers understanding
of C libraries!). That means I could set up a VC++ project to compile
Lua and link in the installer and add the merge module to create a
single MSI tool (I think). WIX is designed to integrate with Visual
Studio (2015 release at least) so potentially a single Solution file
could be created (and shared). If you wanted to open up Lua to Windows
developers, I think this may be an optimal route.

Well, VS Community Edition is a "free" version of a paid for product
but I think this is moving into "paid-for" land. I'll still try not to
hurt any small animals while compiling, though. If anyone has already
been down this path, I'd love to here from you.

Okay, take two...

Russ

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Enrico Colombini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14-May-17 23:05, Jonathan Goble wrote:
>>>
>>> Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
>>> against the WannaCry ransomware worm:
>>>

>>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb
>>>
>>> ...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
>>> platform in practical terms.
>>>
>>> -- Hisham
>>>
>> I saw that. That's highly, highly unusual, as it's the first update in
>> three years for XP. But you're right that it is basically an admission by
>> Microsoft that XP is still practically relevant despite being officially
>> dead for three years.
>

> There are places where XP is quite costly to replace, especially industrial
> machinery and lab instrumentation whose drivers for custom interfaces does
> not work under more recent OS versions... and the maker just says "buy the
> latest model" (x00000 euros).
>
> Of course the wisdom of using a short-life consumer operating system on
> machines built to last 30+ years is questionable.
>
> --
>   Enrico

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Dirk Laurie-2
Well, I don't have Windows 10, but a quick look at Google turns up
"One quick fix is to copy the dll into the same directory as your program."
That's the one I would try first (quick fixes always grab me).

> So I'm starting to see the complications now. The 64 bit binary "just
> works" on Window 10, but the 32 bit seems to still require mingw
> (Error message "The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is
> missing from your computer").

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

KHMan
On 5/17/2017 5:37 PM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> Well, I don't have Windows 10, but a quick look at Google turns up
> "One quick fix is to copy the dll into the same directory as your program."
> That's the one I would try first (quick fixes always grab me).

That's the usual thing to do.

Often on MSYS or MSYS2 compiled executables would run, and then on
Command Prompt it will fail to start. My usual rule is that when
the executable is to run outside of the MSYS or MSYS2 environment,
copy it out and test it on Command Prompt to make sure it has all
the DLLs it needs.

It can be avoided if one uses TDM's gcc executables for 32 bit
Win32 with sjlj exception handling.

I checked earlier today, traditional MinGW/MSYS and the newer
MSYS2 both have their default gcc compilers for 32 bit Win32 using
Dwarf-2 exception handling, needing the DLL.

>> So I'm starting to see the complications now. The 64 bit binary "just
>> works" on Window 10, but the 32 bit seems to still require mingw
>> (Error message "The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is
>> missing from your computer").

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Selangor, Malaysia

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I don't have Windows 10, but a quick look at Google turns up
> "One quick fix is to copy the dll into the same directory as your program."
> That's the one I would try first (quick fixes always grab me).

>> So I'm starting to see the complications now. The 64 bit binary "just
>> works" on Window 10, but the 32 bit seems to still require mingw
>> (Error message "The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is
>> missing from your computer").

Thanks, I'll look into that, but my gut feeling is the dll doesn't
help for running other libraries (I don't know much about mingw yet).
Chaining the mingw installer shouldn't be too difficult. My hesitation
is two fold:

1) Most "installers" from the *nix world I have found so far do not
use the MSI format (It looks like lr4win is the exception). I will be
testing this tonight potentially
2) That introducing mingw means that the "native" development IDE for
Windows still can't be used (I suppose Eclipse with CDT is an option).

VS Studio is a constant on many developer computers. It makes sense to
me that if Windows developers are a potential target audience, giving
them access to the sources through the "native" toolset would be a
good idea now that it's possible.

Russ

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Scott Morgan
On 05/17/2017 05:06 PM, KHMan wrote:
> Often on MSYS or MSYS2 compiled executables would run, and then on
> Command Prompt it will fail to start. My usual rule is that when the
> executable is to run outside of the MSYS or MSYS2 environment, copy it
> out and test it on Command Prompt to make sure it has all the DLLs it
> needs.

Dependency Walker is handy for seeing what DLLs are required for an EXE.
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

A bit like the ldd command in Linux.

Scott

Re: [ANN] Windows MSI Installer for PUC-Lua - Proof Of Concept

Russell Haley
I also wonder out loud if this in all academic now with Linux
Subsystem for Windows?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM, KHMan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/17/2017 5:37 PM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
>>
>> Well, I don't have Windows 10, but a quick look at Google turns up
>> "One quick fix is to copy the dll into the same directory as your
>> program."
>> That's the one I would try first (quick fixes always grab me).
>

> That's the usual thing to do.
>
> Often on MSYS or MSYS2 compiled executables would run, and then on Command
> Prompt it will fail to start. My usual rule is that when the executable is
> to run outside of the MSYS or MSYS2 environment, copy it out and test it on
> Command Prompt to make sure it has all the DLLs it needs.
>
> It can be avoided if one uses TDM's gcc executables for 32 bit Win32 with
> sjlj exception handling.
>
> I checked earlier today, traditional MinGW/MSYS and the newer MSYS2 both
> have their default gcc compilers for 32 bit Win32 using Dwarf-2 exception
> handling, needing the DLL.

MSYS2? Dwarf-2? Cygwin? Pacman! Aaaaaah, run away! ;)

Russ