[ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.2

Hisham
Hi list,

Announcing version 3.1.2 of LuaRocks, the Lua package manager. You can
find all links at https://luarocks.org — source packages for all
supported platforms and binaries for Windows and Linux x86-64 are
available. This is again a small fix release. Please let us know if
there are any problems.

Cheers,
-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.2

sur-behoffski
[Sorry for not threading the message properly... I read via the digest.]

G'day Hisham,

First, thanks for maintaining and enhancing LuaRocks.  I use it constantly
in my daily work environment.

I'm still running LuaRocks 3.0.4; when 3.1 (.0) came out, I hesitated,
after suffering so much pain in moving from 2.x (that was provided via
the Debian-based distros GNU/Linux Mint, plus also Gentoo GNU/Linux)
to 3.x.  The extra features (e.g. easier module version checking and
updating) made the shift compelling, but it was painful for a while.

So, a question:  I'm contemplating releasing some Lua-based software in
the next month or so; should I base my work (and the version of LuaRocks
that I would foist upon possibly fairly novice users) on 3.0.4 or 3.1.2?
I've already started using modules such as "std.normalize", as I'm
sticking with Lua 5.1 for the present (one pain point at a time).

Secondly, a quirk in the home page of the LuaRocks wiki:

         https://luarocks.org/

In the "Quick Start" section, the tarball named in the example for an
Unix system is "luarocks-3.0.4.tar.gz".  Given that 3.1.2 has been
released, is it worth updating the version name in the example
paragraph to "luarocks-3.1.2.tar.gz"?

In any case, thanks again for a very, very valuable resource.

s-b etc. etc.