[ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.0

Hisham
Hello list,

I'm happy to announce version 3.1.0 of LuaRocks, the Lua package
manager. You can find all links at https://luarocks.org — source
packages for all supported platforms and binaries for Windows and
Linux x86-64 are
available.

LuaRocks 3.1.0 brings fixes and a bunch of new goodies. One of the
goals of this release was to make a single LuaRocks installation more
comfortable to use with multiple Lua versions. Here's a few
highlights:

## More powerful `luarocks config`

The `luarocks config` command used to only list the current
configuration. It is now able to query and also _set_ individual
values, like `git config`. You can now do things such as:

   luarocks config variables.OPENSSL_DIR /usr/local/openssl
   luarocks config lua_dir /usr/local
   luarocks config lua_version 5.3

and it will rewrite your luarocks configuration to store that value
for later reuse. Note that setting `lua_version` will make that Lua
version the default for `luarocks` invocations (you can always
override on a per-call basis with `--lua-version`.

You can specify the scope where you will apply the configuration
change: system-wide, to the user's home config (with --local), or
specifically to a project, if you run the command from within a
project directory initialized with `luarocks init`.

## New `--global` flag

Some users prefer that LuaRocks default to system-wide installations,
some users prefer to install everything to their home directory. The
`local_by_default` configuration file controls this preference: when
it is off, the `--local` file triggers user-specific. Before 3.1.0
there was no convenient way to trigger system-wide installations when
`local_by_default` was set to true. LuaRocks 3.1.0 adds a `--global`
flag to this purpose. To enable local-by-default, you can now do:

   luarocks config local_by_default true

## `luarocks make` can deal with patches

A rockspec can include embedded patch files, which are applied when a
source rock is built. Now, when you run `luarocks make` on a source
tree unpacked with `luarocks unpack`, the patches will be applied as
well (and a hidden lockfile is created to avoid the patches to be
re-applied incorrectly).

## Smarter defaults when working with projects

When working on a project initialized with `luarocks init`, the
presence of a ./.luarocks/config-5.x.lua file will be enough to detect
the project-based workflow and have `luarocks` default to that 5.x
version. That means the `./luarocks` wrapper becomes less necessary;
the `luarocks` from your $PATH will deal with the project just fine,
git-style.

## And more!

There are also other improvements. LuaRocks uses the manifest cache a
bit more aggressively, resulting in increased performance. Also, it no
longer complains with a warning message if the home cache cannot be
created (it just uses a temporary dir instead). And of course, the
release includes multiple bugfixes.

And here's a list of all contributors who added commits to this
release: George Roman, FYP, Oliver Vartiainen, Tomás Guisasola,
Antonin Décimo, Simone Livieri, Luke Gorrie, Jacek Jaszczuk, Leo P,
Hisham Muhammad.

Cheers!

-- Hisham

I still can't get anyone in FreeBSD to push my 3.0.4 patch. :(

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.0

Andrew Gierth

 Russell> I still can't get anyone in FreeBSD to push my 3.0.4 patch. :(
 Russell> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D17814

Is there a bugzilla reference for that?

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.0

Russell Haley

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 3:16 PM Andrew Gierth <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Russell> I still can't get anyone in FreeBSD to push my 3.0.4 patch. :(
 Russell> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D17814

Is there a bugzilla reference for that?
No, I didn't create one because I was waiting on jbeich (the luarocks port maintainer) to remove the "changes required" flag or mat to give me some further guidance. In hindsight I suppose that would have been another way to force the issue. I think I'll test 3.1.0 and create a new patch, then put up a bugzilla issue and request maintainership at the same time.

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.0

François Perrad

Le mar. 30 avr. 2019 à 20:54, Hisham <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hello list,

I'm happy to announce version 3.1.0 of LuaRocks, the Lua package
manager. You can find all links at https://luarocks.org — source
packages for all supported platforms and binaries for Windows and
Linux x86-64 are
available.

hererocks is a great companion of Luarocks.
Sadly, mpeterv is dead.
There is a fork on Luarocks organisation : https://github.com/luarocks/hererocks
Is it an "official" fork where the project will continue with community support ?

I could send a PR which add the support of Luarocks 3.0.3, 3.0.4, ...

François

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 06:17, François Perrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mar. 30 avr. 2019 à 20:54, Hisham <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce version 3.1.0 of LuaRocks, the Lua package
>> manager. You can find all links at https://luarocks.org — source
>> packages for all supported platforms and binaries for Windows and
>> Linux x86-64 are
>> available.
>>

> hererocks is a great companion of Luarocks.
> Sadly, mpeterv is dead.
> There is a fork on Luarocks organisation : https://github.com/luarocks/hererocks
> Is it an "official" fork where the project will continue with community support ?

Hello, I have created these forked repos so I could request Github to
redirect the original ones to those, but I heard no response of any
kind from their support channel.

> I could send a PR which add the support of Luarocks 3.0.3, 3.0.4, ...

That would be definitely welcome.

What we need is for someone to contact the PIP maintainers so that
this fork would take over future releases in their repo. But we don't
currently have a maintainer for this package. Ítalo Maia mentioned
interest — does the offer still stand? Ideally it would be best to
have multiple maintainers. If anyone is interested in sharing this,
let me know off-list and I'll grant access to the luarocks/hererocks
repository.

Thank you,

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.1.0

Jonathan Goble
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:46 PM Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What we need is for someone to contact the PIP maintainers so that
> this fork would take over future releases in their repo.

PEP 541 [1] describes the process for taking over ownership of an
abandoned PyPI package. To be considered abandoned (among other
requirements), there must have been no releases in the past 12 months,
but the last release of hererocks was September 10, 2018. Therefore,
as I understand it, nothing can be done on that front until September
of this year.

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0541/