[ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Hisham
Hello list,

I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
LuaRocks, the Lua package manager>

It includes a lot of new stuff, as previewed in the beta and rc pre-releases:

- New rockspec format
- New commands, including `luarocks init` for per-project workflows [1]
- New flags, including `--lua-dir` and `--lua-version` for using
multiple Lua installs with a single LuaRocks
- New build system, gearing towards a new distribution model [2]
- General improvements, including namespaces [3]
- User-visible changes, including some breaking changes
- Internal changes

All of the above are detailed here:

* https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

The LuaRocks wiki still needs to be updated to cover most of the new
features (it would be odd to have the documentation up when the
features weren't released yet). Any help updating the wiki is
especially welcome!

Files for Unix and Windows are here:

https://luarocks.github.io/luarocks/releases

This release contains both the Unix tarball and two versions of the
Windows zip: the "legacy" installer which works the same as the zip
files released with all LuaRocks versions so far, and a new zip file
with the all-in-one luarocks.exe binary that runs with no additional
dependencies. The luarocks.exe program assumes you're using a
Microsoft compiler toolchain when running from the Visual Studio
developer console, or a mingw toolchain otherwise (everything can be
hand-tuned via config files as usual).

This release contains new code by Thijs Schreijer, George Roman, Peter
Melnichenko, Kim Alvefur, Alec Larson, Evgeny Shulgin, Michal Cichra,
Daniel Hahler, and myself. The LuaRocks.org server is maintained by
Leaf Corcoran.

Once again, very special thanks to my employer Kong, for sponsoring my
work on LuaRocks over the last year and making this release possible.
Special thanks also to François Perrad and Matthew Wild for their
feedback during the beta and rc phase.

LuaRocks is what it is today because of its community, that
continuously releases new rocks in https://luarocks.org and makes the
Lua ecosystem all the more useful — keep on rockin'!

Come chat with us at https://gitter.im/luarocks/luarocks
and please report any issues at https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks

3.0.0 cheers for the new release!

Hisham Muhammad
-- LuaRocks lead developer
-- https://luarocks.org

[1] https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/wiki/Project:-LuaRocks-per-project-workflow
[2] https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/wiki/Project:-LuaRocks-new-distribution-model
[3] https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/wiki/Namespaces

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Daurnimator
On 21 July 2018 at 08:16, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
> LuaRocks, the Lua package manager

Congratulations on the release!
I know how long this has been in progress.

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Pierre Chapuis
On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, at 03:32, Daurnimator wrote:

> Congratulations on the release!
> I know how long this has been in progress.

Let me join you here, this is fantastic.

I remember we were already talking about LuaRocks 3 at the 2013 Workshop (!) so yes, this is a long awaited release. Congrats to Hisham and all the contributors on shipping it.

Pierre Chapuis

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Adrian Perez de Castro
Hello Hisham,

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 19:16:15 -0300, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
> LuaRocks, the Lua package manager.

Congratulations on the release, it is indeed a very juicy one! I have pushed
a small change [1] to the RockZ virtual environment manager so it can be used
with this new release of LuaRocks. I still want to iron out one issue [2]
before making it use LuaRocks 3.0.0 by default :-)

> It includes a lot of new stuff, as previewed in the beta and rc pre-releases:
>
> - New rockspec format
> - New commands, including `luarocks init` for per-project workflows [1]
> - New flags, including `--lua-dir` and `--lua-version` for using
> multiple Lua installs with a single LuaRocks

At some point I'll be looking into this, because if I understand correctly
how this works it would make possible for RockZ to bootstrap a single LuaRocks
installation to be shared among all the virtual environments—maybe even reuse
a system-wide installation of LuaRocks! If that's the case, creating new
environments would be substantially faster.

> - New build system, gearing towards a new distribution model [2]
> - General improvements, including namespaces [3]

This looks perfect to try personal forks with patches of projects *and* share
the patched modules with others before sending the patches upstream. Neat!

> - User-visible changes, including some breaking changes
> - Internal changes
>
> [...]

Last but not least, thanks a lot for maintaining LuaRocks, which IMHO is
probably the best piece of tooling available Lua developers \o/

Cheers,

-Adrián

---
[1] https://github.com/aperezdc/rockz/commit/c360934d71a4740bebf70d218e63f13b3b872f9b
[2] https://github.com/aperezdc/rockz/issues/3

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Thijs Schreijer

> On 22 Jul 2018, at 11:27, Pierre Chapuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, at 03:32, Daurnimator wrote:
>
>> Congratulations on the release!
>> I know how long this has been in progress.
>
> Let me join you here, this is fantastic.
>
> I remember we were already talking about LuaRocks 3 at the 2013 Workshop (!) so yes, this is a long awaited release. Congrats to Hisham and all the contributors on shipping it.
>
> --
> Pierre Chapuis

Congrats Hisham!

I actually wanted to mention that I didn’t recall as far back as 2013, but did from the workshop in Toulouse. Looking that up: 2013 was Toulouse… duh… :)

Thijs

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Andriy Kornatskyy
It appears luarocks 3.0.0 fails to install xml package.

[1] https://luarocks.org/modules/gaspard/xml

Steps to reproduce:

luarocks install xml

Error: Could not find library file for STDC++

It works with luarocks 2.4.4.

Thanks.

Andriy Kornatskyy

On 23 July 2018 at 07:17, Thijs Schreijer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 22 Jul 2018, at 11:27, Pierre Chapuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, at 03:32, Daurnimator wrote:
>>
>>> Congratulations on the release!
>>> I know how long this has been in progress.
>>
>> Let me join you here, this is fantastic.
>>
>> I remember we were already talking about LuaRocks 3 at the 2013 Workshop (!) so yes, this is a long awaited release. Congrats to Hisham and all the contributors on shipping it.
>>
>> --
>> Pierre Chapuis
>>

> Congrats Hisham!
>
> I actually wanted to mention that I didn’t recall as far back as 2013, but did from the workshop in Toulouse. Looking that up: 2013 was Toulouse… duh… :)

Yeah, a little thing called a "PhD" happened in between. :D

But jokes aside, "LuaRocks 3" for a long time was a codeword for "this
feature you're asking for would require breaking rockspec
compatibility". Anyway, looking forward we should have a healthier
development process. LuaRocks is now a more collective organization,
we've been on Google Summer of Code as an org for 2 years in a row
now, and the idea is to keep evolving the tool to match users
expectations.

Thank you all for the kind words regarding the release! It's really appreciated.

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Hisham
On 23 July 2018 at 09:55, Andriy Kornatskyy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It appears luarocks 3.0.0 fails to install xml package.
>
> [1] https://luarocks.org/modules/gaspard/xml
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> luarocks install xml
>
> Error: Could not find library file for STDC++
>
> It works with luarocks 2.4.4.

Thank you for the report!

What is the location of the file libstdc++.so in your system?

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Mike Schmitz-2
I use a --versioned-rocks-dir installation with 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3

I should say I used to use...

I still set it up that way, but I can only use 5.1. Luarocks-5.2 and
luarocks-5.3 lock up when using the search functionand I have to kill
them while it eats all the cycles on my computer. Install function works
fine.

A little about my setup:

Devuan Ascii

lua 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 installed by apt

$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/lua-interpreter
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 31  2016 /etc/alternatives/lua-interpreter -> /usr/bin/lua5.2

luarocks downloaded and uptated by git

./configure --lua-version=5.[ver] --lua-suffix=5.[ver] --with-lua-include=/usr/include/lua5.[ver] --versioned-rocks-dir

make build

sudo make install

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Hisham
On 23 July 2018 at 14:12, Mike Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use a --versioned-rocks-dir installation with 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3
>
> I should say I used to use...

All LR3 installations use a versioned rocks dir, that's why the flag
is gone (it's now "always on").

> I still set it up that way, but I can only use 5.1. Luarocks-5.2 and
> luarocks-5.3 lock up when using the search functionand I have to kill
> them while it eats all the cycles on my computer. Install function works
> fine.

Could you try running the problematic commands with --verbose and
sharing the results?

> A little about my setup:
>
> Devuan Ascii
>
> lua 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 installed by apt
>
> $ ls -l /etc/alternatives/lua-interpreter
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 31  2016 /etc/alternatives/lua-interpreter -> /usr/bin/lua5.2
>
> luarocks downloaded and uptated by git
>
> ./configure --lua-version=5.[ver] --lua-suffix=5.[ver] --with-lua-include=/usr/include/lua5.[ver] --versioned-rocks-dir

Instead of --lua-suffix you should use --lua-interpreter, in case
--lua-version isn't enough to autodetect it. (But given your setup, I
believe `./configure --lua-version=5.[ver]` should be sufficient).

Thank you for the report, let's dig into this. Opening an issue on
Github would be ideal, so we can track this without bothering lua-l.

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Mike Schmitz-2
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 05:03:05PM -0300, Hisham wrote:
> On 23 July 2018 at 14:12, Mike Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

--delete irrelevant

> Instead of --lua-suffix you should use --lua-interpreter, in case

This cued me to my issue. there was no --lua-interpreter or
--with-lua-interpreter in the configure file. I blew away the luarocks
dir and recloned it, and that issue no longer exists.

> --lua-version isn't enough to autodetect it. (But given your setup, I
> believe `./configure --lua-version=5.[ver]` should be sufficient).

indeed `./configure --lua-version=5.[ver]` was sufficient.

> Thank you for the report, let's dig into this. Opening an issue on
> Github would be ideal, so we can track this without bothering lua-l.

No need on that issue at least. User head space sufficiently adjusted.

New issue though:

mschmitz@ferrum:~/src/luarocks$ luarocks-5.3 search luaposix
/usr/bin/lua5.3: /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:179: attempt to call a nil value (field 'make_shallow_copy')
stack traceback:
        /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:179: in upvalue 'env_for_config_file'
        /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:209: in local 'load_config_file'
        /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:228: in main chunk
        [C]: in function 'require'
        /usr/local/bin/luarocks-5.3:5: in main chunk
        [C]: in ?
mschmitz@ferrum:~/src/luarocks$

I will be happy to create an issue on github, if it will take more than
another minor adjustment to fix.

Mike

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Russell Haley

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Hisham,

I'm still seeing an anomaly on FreeBSD where I have to run make twice. The build fails the first time and succeeds the second:

russellh@g1 ~/f/p/d/l/w/luarocks-3.0.0> sudo ./configure

Configuring LuaRocks...

Lua version detected: 5.4
Lua interpreter found: /usr/local/bin/lua54
lua.h found: /usr/local/include/lua.h
unzip found in PATH: /usr/bin

Done configuring.

LuaRocks will be installed at......: /usr/local
LuaRocks will install rocks at.....: /usr/local
LuaRocks configuration directory...: /usr/local/etc/luarocks
Using Lua from.....................: /usr/local

* Type make and make install:
  to install to /usr/local as usual.
* Type make bootstrap:
  to install LuaRocks into /usr/local as a rock.

russellh@g1 ~/f/p/d/l/w/luarocks-3.0.0> sudo make
rm -f src/luarocks/core/hardcoded.lua
echo "#!/bin/sh" > luarocks
echo "unset LUA_PATH LUA_PATH_5_2 LUA_PATH_5_3 LUA_PATH_5_4" >> luarocks
echo 'LUAROCKS_SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc/luarocks" LUA_PATH="/src/?.lua;;" exec "/usr/local/bin/lua54" "/src/bin/luarocks" --project-tree="/lua_modules" "$@"' >> luarocks
chmod +rx ./luarocks
./luarocks init
/usr/local/bin/lua54: cannot open /src/bin/luarocks: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/freebsd/ports/devel/lua-luarocks/work/luarocks-3.0.0
russellh@g1 ~/f/p/d/l/w/luarocks-3.0.0> sudo make
rm -f src/luarocks/core/hardcoded.lua
echo "#!/bin/sh" > luarocks-admin
echo "unset LUA_PATH LUA_PATH_5_2 LUA_PATH_5_3 LUA_PATH_5_4" >> luarocks-admin
echo 'LUAROCKS_SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc/luarocks" LUA_PATH="/src/?.lua;;" exec "/usr/local/bin/lua54" "/src/bin/luarocks-admin" --project-tree="/lua_modules" "$@"' >> luarocks-admin
chmod +rx ./luarocks-admin
russellh@g1 ~/f/p/d/l/w/luarocks-3.0.0>

I also tried using luarocks init <nothing here>. The directory was set up and all the rocks I requested downloaded and built (chronos, http,cqueues,lpeg,luaossl, luafilesystem).  However,  when I run the shell script ./lua, I don't see .lua_modules in my package.path:

russellh@g1 ~/P/lr-test> ls
lr-test-dev-1.rockspec lua                    lua_modules            luarocks               server.lua
russellh@g1 ~/P/lr-test> ./lua
Lua 5.3.5  Copyright (C) 1994-2018 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> package.path
/home/russellh/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/home/russellh/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;./?.lua;./?/init.lua
> package.cpath
/home/russellh/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/loadall.so;./?.so

I'll be updating the FreeBSD port shortly. https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16274

Thanks for all your hard work!

Russ

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Russell Haley

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

russellh@g1 ~/P/lr-test> ls
lr-test-dev-1.rockspec lua                    lua_modules            luarocks               server.lua
russellh@g1 ~/P/lr-test> ./lua
Lua 5.3.5  Copyright (C) 1994-2018 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> package.path
/home/russellh/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/home/russellh/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.lua;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?/init.lua;./?.lua;./?/init.lua
> package.cpath
/home/russellh/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/?.so;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/loadall.so;./?.so

Hi, I think the last problem with the paths might not be valid. I just realized that installation was the wrong version of LuaRocks. It was still Beta2.

Russ

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Andrew Gierth

 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >> Hello list,
 >>
 >> I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
 >> LuaRocks, the Lua package manager

Makefile isn't respecting the convention of prefixing with $(DESTDIR)
for install, which is a huge pain for people trying to do ports or
packages.

 Russell> I'm still seeing an anomaly on FreeBSD where I have to run
 Russell> make twice. The build fails the first time and succeeds the
 Russell> second:

 Russell> /usr/local/bin/lua54: cannot open /src/bin/luarocks: No such file or
 Russell> directory

This is a symptom of the makefile requiring GNU Make, which defines
$(CURDIR), while BSD make does not.

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Andriy Kornatskyy
Thanks, Hisham.

The issue can be reproduced on debian buster and alpine linux 3.8.

debian buster:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/libstdc++fs.a
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/libstdc++.a
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/libstdc++.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.25

apline linux 3.8:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.22

Thanks.

Andriy Kornatskyy

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Andrew Gierth <[hidden email]> wrote:

 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >> Hello list,
 >>
 >> I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
 >> LuaRocks, the Lua package manager

Makefile isn't respecting the convention of prefixing with $(DESTDIR)
for install, which is a huge pain for people trying to do ports or
packages.

 Russell> I'm still seeing an anomaly on FreeBSD where I have to run
 Russell> make twice. The build fails the first time and succeeds the
 Russell> second:

 Russell> /usr/local/bin/lua54: cannot open /src/bin/luarocks: No such file or
 Russell> directory

This is a symptom of the makefile requiring GNU Make, which defines
$(CURDIR), while BSD make does not.

--
Andrew.

Thanks for your help Andrew. I saw your comments on the port as well. I'll clean it up tonight.

Russ

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Hisham
On 24 July 2018 at 02:17, Andrew Gierth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >> Hello list,
>  >>
>  >> I am happy to announce LuaRocks 3.0.0, the new major release of
>  >> LuaRocks, the Lua package manager
>
> Makefile isn't respecting the convention of prefixing with $(DESTDIR)
> for install, which is a huge pain for people trying to do ports or
> packages.
>
>  Russell> I'm still seeing an anomaly on FreeBSD where I have to run
>  Russell> make twice. The build fails the first time and succeeds the
>  Russell> second:
>
>  Russell> /usr/local/bin/lua54: cannot open /src/bin/luarocks: No such file or
>  Russell> directory
>
> This is a symptom of the makefile requiring GNU Make, which defines
> $(CURDIR), while BSD make does not.

If you happen to know a portable alternative that works in both, I'll
be happy to change it!

Thanks!

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Hisham
On 23 July 2018 at 23:45, Mike Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 05:03:05PM -0300, Hisham wrote:
>> On 23 July 2018 at 14:12, Mike Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> --delete irrelevant
>
>> Instead of --lua-suffix you should use --lua-interpreter, in case
>
> This cued me to my issue. there was no --lua-interpreter or
> --with-lua-interpreter in the configure file. I blew away the luarocks
> dir and recloned it, and that issue no longer exists.
>
>> --lua-version isn't enough to autodetect it. (But given your setup, I
>> believe `./configure --lua-version=5.[ver]` should be sufficient).
>
> indeed `./configure --lua-version=5.[ver]` was sufficient.
>
>> Thank you for the report, let's dig into this. Opening an issue on
>> Github would be ideal, so we can track this without bothering lua-l.
>
> No need on that issue at least. User head space sufficiently adjusted.
>
> New issue though:
>
> mschmitz@ferrum:~/src/luarocks$ luarocks-5.3 search luaposix
> /usr/bin/lua5.3: /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:179: attempt to call a nil value (field 'make_shallow_copy')
> stack traceback:
>         /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:179: in upvalue 'env_for_config_file'
>         /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:209: in local 'load_config_file'
>         /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/cfg.lua:228: in main chunk
>         [C]: in function 'require'
>         /usr/local/bin/luarocks-5.3:5: in main chunk
>         [C]: in ?
> mschmitz@ferrum:~/src/luarocks$
>
> I will be happy to create an issue on github, if it will take more than
> another minor adjustment to fix.

>From the stack trace, it reads like it is picking up modules from an
older LuaRocks 2.x installation you may have around. Removing that and
keeping only 3.0 will fix it.

-- Hisham

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Andrew Gierth

 Russell> Thanks for your help Andrew. I saw your comments on the port
 Russell> as well. I'll clean it up tonight.

Is it OK if I post my own diff on your revision? I've done the makefile
fixes and a bug fix, and generated the new plist.

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] LuaRocks 3.0.0

Russell Haley
Sorry for the top post.

Thanks Andrew. Please feel free to update the ports at your discretion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.

Russell> Thanks for your help Andrew. I saw your comments on the port
Russell> as well. I'll clean it up tonight.

Is it OK if I post my own diff on your revision? I've done the makefile
fixes and a bug fix, and generated the new plist.

--
Andrew.

12