[ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

[ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Antonio Scuri
  Hi All,

  We updated the LuaBinaries distribution with binaries for the Lua versions 5.0.3 and 5.1.1.

  What's new?

- The source code package now includes Lua makefiles modified to build the same binaries for Linux and MacOS X. There are also projects for Visual C++ 6, 7 and 8.
- "bin2c5*.exe" and "lua5*.exe" in Windows now contain support for command line globing (so you case use "lua5.1 *.lua").
- Each binary packaging is more simple with less directories. Packages for Windows use the ZIP format.
- New 64-bits Windows binaries.

  Just to remember, LuaBinaries build uses the same configuration that the standard Lua distribution uses. No changes are applied to the "luaconf.h" file. The ONLY and IMPORTANT exception is the library file name that is changed to liblua5.1.so/liblua5.1.a and lua5.1.dll/lua5.1.lib.

  For those who build installation packages like MSI, RPM or DEB, please use the binaries from LuaBinaries, just repack them in the installation package format. Or if you want to rebuild use the same configuration and the same name standard. This will make the life of many Lua users and module developers easier.

  For those who build Lua binaries in other platforms following the LuaBinaries standards we would be happy to redistribute your binaries in the LuaBinaries Downloads. Also installation packages using LuaBinaries are welcome to be redistributed in the LuaBinaries Downloads.

Best Regards,
Antonio Scuri

Re: [ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Shmuel Zeigerman-2
Antonio Scuri wrote:

- "bin2c5*.exe" and "lua5*.exe" in Windows now contain support for command line globing (so you case use "lua5.1 *.lua").

What will it do? Execute all lua scripts in a directory one by one?
In what order?

Shmuel

RE: [ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Antonio Scuri
> > - "bin2c5*.exe" and "lua5*.exe" in Windows now contain support for
> > command line globing (so you case use "lua5.1 *.lua").
>
> What will it do? Execute all lua scripts in a directory one by one?
> In what order?

  The shell will parse the files you selected and add them to the command
line. To do that the executable must be linked with "setargv.obj". The
"lua.c" source code was not changed.

Best,
Scuri

Re: [ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Shmuel Zeigerman-2
I've noticed 2 issues with Win32 binaries.

1. lua5_0_3_Win32_bin.zip: "globing"
------------------------------------

  lua50.exe *.lua
lua50.exe: cannot read *.lua: Invalid argument

  lua50.exe 1.lua *.txt

lua50.exe: 1.lua:2: bad argument #1 to `lines' (Invalid argument)

2. lua5_1_1_Win32_bin.zip
-------------------------

  lua5.1.exe
The system cannot execute the specified program.
  luac5.1.exe
The system cannot execute the specified program.

Dependency Walker reports on lua5.1.exe (and similar on luac.5.1.exe):

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in
"...\LUA5.1.EXE" contains errors. This
application has failed to start because the application
configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix
this problem (14001).

Shmuel

RE: [ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Antonio Scuri
> 1. lua5_0_3_Win32_bin.zip: "globing"
> ------------------------------------
>
>    lua50.exe *.lua
> > lua50.exe: cannot read *.lua: Invalid argument

  My fault. I changed a parameter before building the final release that
excluded exactly the globing support. I already fixed and replaced the file
in the Downloads. Please download it again.

> 2. lua5_1_1_Win32_bin.zip
> -------------------------
>
>    lua5.1.exe
> > The system cannot execute the specified program.
>    luac5.1.exe
> > The system cannot execute the specified program.
>
> Dependency Walker reports on lua5.1.exe (and similar on luac.5.1.exe):
>
> > Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in
> > "...\LUA5.1.EXE" contains errors. This
> > application has failed to start because the application
> > configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix
> > this problem (14001).

  I just download that file and it is working fine here. It seems that your
download was incomplete of invalid.

Antonio Scuri wrote:
1. lua5_0_3_Win32_bin.zip: "globing"
------------------------------------
  My fault. I changed a parameter before building the final release that
excluded exactly the globing support. I already fixed and replaced the file
in the Downloads. Please download it again.

Now it works.

2. lua5_1_1_Win32_bin.zip
-------------------------

   lua5.1.exe
The system cannot execute the specified program.

  I just download that file and it is working fine here. It seems that your
download was incomplete of invalid.

a) my download couldn't be invalid, since it's zip-file that passes CRC check.

b) I've downloaded again (after "globing" was fixed). The same error.
I did some googling for this error message, and found that the reason *could be* the manifest not linked into the binary. If running the file from the directory containing the manifest, it runs, otherwise Windows issues that error message.

Shmuel

RE: [ANN] LuaBinaries for Lua 5.0.3 and 5.1.1

Antonio Scuri
  Sorry, you are rigth. I left the manifest file in the resources but it is
used only for the 64-bits executables.

  I just updated the Lua 5.1.1 Win32 executables. Please download it again.

Best,
scuri