[ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

[ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

RJP Computing
We are proud to announce the next release of Lua for Windows (LfW). Read the changelog for more information. Enjoy.
The project is hosted on GoogleCode.

Homepage:

http://luaforwindows.googlecode.com/

Lua for Windows is a 'batteries included environment' for the Lua scripting language on Windows.

Lua for Windows combines Lua binaries, Lua libraries with a Lua-capable editor in a single install package for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Lua for Windows contains everything you need to write, run and debug Lua scripts on Windows. A wide variety of libraries and examples are included that are ready to use with Microsoft Windows. Lua for Windows runs on Windows 2000 and newer versions of Windows. Lua and its associated libraries are also available for other operating systems, so most scripts will be automatically cross-platform.

Changelog:

06/14/2011  Version 5.1.4-45
* Fixes #42 - Please update Tecgraf libs (CD, IM, IUP)
^ Updated IUP to version 3.5.0.
^ Updated CD to version 5.4.1.
^ Updated IM to version 3.6.3.

06/08/2011  Version 5.1.4-44
* Fixed pl.dir so you can use strict module
Ryan

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Cameron Seebach
I am right in the middle of using your distribution of Lua as my GUI library of choice. (If I ever make something worth showing, I'll let y'all know.) Great work, and thank you. I am eager to try out the newer versions of the Tecgraf libraries included.

Have you ever considered trying to make a "portable" version of Lua for Windows? I know nothing about how hard it is to do this, but you are already most of the way there - after installing the MS 2005 runtimes I could get all the libraries I needed (IUP and some of the secondary IUP libraries) to work without actually installing Lua for Windows. I've tested this behavior on Windows XP and Windows Vista - and I'll be deploying applications to Windows 7 soon.

I suppose I could try building a version with MinGW, but after all, the best programmers are lazy programmers. Or so a professor once told me.

Thanks again!
-Cameron Seebach

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM, RJP Computing <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ryan

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

steve donovan
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Cameron Seebach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have you ever considered trying to make a "portable" version of Lua for
> Windows?

By 'portable' meaning 'support for Unix-like OS', yes, it's very much
part of the dream. Some things only make sense on Windows (LuaCOM,
LuaInterface) and one would want luaposix, but it's very possible. IUP
and wxLua are portable.

> I suppose I could try building a version with MinGW, but after all, the best
> programmers are lazy programmers. Or so a professor once told me.

Again part of the grand plan!  The mscrt80 runtime is getting old
anyway, and working with the MS runtime is a pain; gcc is now
competitive with the MS compiler these days, so I can't think of any
good reason to stay with MS.  And then the idea would be a common
source base that can be portably built; best candidate so far as
LuaDist as build-the-universe environment.  Peter Drahos and David M
have already put a lot of effort in getting mingw builds of the
libraries, including LuaCOM.

steve d.

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Michal Kottman
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 09:45 +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Cameron Seebach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Have you ever considered trying to make a "portable" version of Lua for
> > Windows?
>
> By 'portable' meaning 'support for Unix-like OS', yes, it's very much
> part of the dream. Some things only make sense on Windows (LuaCOM,
> LuaInterface) and one would want luaposix, but it's very possible. IUP
> and wxLua are portable.

You could wait for the completion of LuaDist [1] 'batteries'
meta-package [2], which will cover most of the functionality of LfW, in
a platform-independent manner (see [3] for supported packages).

[1] http://luadist.org/
[2] https://github.com/LuaDist/batteries
[3] https://github.com/LuaDist/batteries/blob/master/dist.info

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Cameron Seebach

Thank you both for your responses! I had no idea that OS portability was in the works too! And LuaDist looks very impressive already - I will investigate further when I get home from work today.

I meant portability in the much narrower sense of "no install necessary." A rather annoying namespace collision. I have a specific interest in ditching the vc_redist.exe as some of the places I am looking to deploy Lua do not have the necessary admin rights! Or the IT professional there frowns on extra installation.

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45 AM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't think of any
> good reason to stay with MS.

and there was much rejoicing

Javier

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Ryan Pusztai
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45 AM, steve donovan
> I can't think of any good reason to stay with MS.

and there was much rejoicing

I totally agree! ;-)
Ryan

Re: [ANN] Lua for Windows v5.1.4-45 Released

Lorenzo Donati-2
On 16/06/2011 21.00, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45 AM, steve donovan
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I can't think of any
>> good reason to stay with MS.

Masochism? :-P