[ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

[ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
published and is now available at Amazon:
	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20

Check out the table of contents, the front matter, and a sample chapter
(by Roberto) at
	http://www.lua.org/gems/

To quote from the preface:
    We thank all the authors for their hard work on the articles and
    everyone that submitted abstracts in the first phase. We also thank
    the whole Lua community for its friendliness and expertise. The
    active participation of our users has been to us a constant source
    of motivation for improving Lua. Finally, we give our warm thanks to
    Cameron Laird and Mark Hamburg for writing forewords to this book.

--lhf, for the editors

--lhf, for the editors

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Ralph Hempel
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

We thank all the authors for their hard work on the articles and everyone that submitted abstracts in the first phase. We also thank the whole Lua community for its friendliness and expertise. The active participation of our users has been to us a constant source of motivation for improving Lua. Finally, we give our warm thanks to Cameron Laird and Mark Hamburg for writing forewords to this book.

I remember Cameron from my days using Tcl - don't tell me
he's switched teams :-)

Ralph

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I remember Cameron from my days using Tcl - don't tell me
> he's switched teams :-)

Well, read his foreword... He's a Lua enthusiast but I can't say whether he's
switched teams ...

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Ralph Hempel
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
I remember Cameron from my days using Tcl - don't tell me
he's switched teams :-)

Well, read his foreword... He's a Lua enthusiast but I can't say whether he's
switched teams ...

I did - and there's not one word about Tcl in there :-)

Ralph

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Alex Bradbury
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
> published and is now available at Amazon:
>        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20

Congratulations on the release. Do you have any idea when it will be
available to order from amazon.co.uk?

Thanks,

Alex

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Miles Bader-2
Looks great!

I think I found a typo in the sample chapter:

   With just a few extra lines of code, the performance
   of your implementation was comparable to the C++ implementation.¹

... It looks like "your" should be "our"

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious.

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

> > We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
> > published and is now available at Amazon:
> >        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20
>
> Congratulations on the release. Do you have any idea when it will be
> available to order from amazon.co.uk?

Probably in a few days, but we cannot be sure.

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Andreas Stenius
What a nice Christmas "gift"! :c)

One copy ordered.. ;-)
Looking forward to read it

Best regards,
Andreas Stenius

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo" <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Jerome Vuarand
2008/12/14 A.S. Bradbury <[hidden email]>:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
>> published and is now available at Amazon:
>>        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20
>
> Congratulations on the release. Do you have any idea when it will be
> available to order from amazon.co.uk?

For those interested it's listed on amazon.fr, but not yet available
for purchase. You can still bookmark it:

http://www.amazon.fr/s?field-isbn=9788590379843

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Asko Kauppi

Congrats on the cover!

It's a nice color scale (black & gold). At the same time tying to existing Lua books, at the same time ... being a gem. Great! :)

-asko

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo kirjoitti 14.12.2008 kello 23:40:

We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
published and is now available at Amazon:
	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20

Check out the table of contents, the front matter, and a sample chapter
(by Roberto) at
	http://www.lua.org/gems/

To quote from the preface:
   We thank all the authors for their hard work on the articles and
   everyone that submitted abstracts in the first phase. We also thank
   the whole Lua community for its friendliness and expertise. The
   active participation of our users has been to us a constant source
of motivation for improving Lua. Finally, we give our warm thanks to
   Cameron Laird and Mark Hamburg for writing forewords to this book.

--lhf, for the editors

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Duncan Cross
I am very glad to see this. Thank you, to everyone involved.

I've already learned something new from reading through Roberto's - in the middle of a pairs()/next() loop, it is no problem to change the *current* key in the table (previously I had believed that tables should not be modified at all when traversing them). Setting a different key may cause the loop to terminate early if you are setting the value to nil, or trigger a rehash if it is not. But setting the current key to something else, including nil, should always be fine. Is that right?

(Apologies if this was actually covered in the PiL or something.)

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Doug Rogers-4

Bader wrote:
> I think I found a typo in the sample chapter:
>    With just a few extra lines of code, the performance
>    of your implementation was comparable to the C++ implementation.¹
> ... It looks like "your" should be "our"

Yes! Now my wife has something to get me for Christmas, and she doesn't
even know it!

I noticed errata, too. Hope you don't mind:

Chapter 2:

  o p19 - First paragraph after section heading "About tables", first
line, "implement" should be "implements".

  o p23 - I think the memory usage numbers in section "Reduce Reuse
Recycle" should be MBytes, not KBytes. There are at least three
instances of this. Hard to break those old memories, isn't it?

  o p25 - You picked my son's birthday for your example. Thanks! :)
Steve Gargolinski would like him; he's an excellent 14u baseball player.

  o p27 - first line, "tunning" should be "tuning". This is repeated in
the third paragraph (second full paragraph), last line.

It's been ordered. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Doug

Innovative Concepts, Inc. www.innocon.com 703-893-2007 x220

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

> I've already learned something new from reading through Roberto's - in the
> middle of a pairs()/next() loop, it is no problem to change the *current*
> key in the table (previously I had believed that tables should not be
> modified at all when traversing them). Setting a different key may cause the
> loop to terminate early if you are setting the value to nil, or trigger a
> rehash if it is not. But setting the current key to something else,
> including nil, should always be fine. Is that right?

The explanation for next mentions this:

  The behavior of next is undefined if, during the traversal, you assign
  any value to a non-existent field in the table. You may however modify
  existing fields. In particular, you may clear existing fields.

  http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-next

Ah, so I was yet still wrong - you can clear other keys (set them to nil) without a problem, as well. next()/pairs() will just skip over nil entries, so the loop won't go wrong. Sorry for missing that bit in the manual, thank you for pointing it out.

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

> I noticed errata, too. Hope you don't mind:

Not at all. Many thanks!

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Duncan Cross
I just spotted some additional errata in Chapter 2:

1. The footnote on page 20 - the first "smaller" in the second sentence should I thnk instead be "smallest".

2. On page 28, "...you loose flexibility" - should be "lose" instead of "loose".

-Duncan

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Carsten Fuchs
Hi all,

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
published and is now available at Amazon:
	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20

Wow, thanks for sharing this great news, and a HUGE THANKS to the entire Lua development team and the Lua community for making this happen! :-)

I'm the lead developer of my companies main product: the Ca3D-Engine, a real-time, multi-player, portable graphics and game engine. We've been using Lua for many versions now, and continue to augment the areas where we can employ it very successfully.

We're very pleased to find chapters specific to employing Lua in game programming: Right now, we already use it for map and entity scripting (i.e. gameplay, rules, NPC behaviour, etc.), for our GUI system that works both in 2D (e.g. the main menu) and 3D (e.g. in-game elevator controls), for the game engine console, for entity definitions for the editors, etc. Currently, and especially with the Lua Gems book out, we're considering changing our custom Sound and Material Shader script language to Lua as well.

In summary: When I finished reading Roberto's free sample chapter, I just ordered copies for my entire programming team, making them mandatory read, just as I did with the PiL2 as well! :-)

Many thanks for Lua, and keep up the good work!
Carsten

--
Carsten Fuchs Software
Multi-Player, Multi-Platform, Real-Time 3D Graphics
http://www.Ca3D-Engine.de

RE: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Ken Davis
Congrats on the book and thanks to those that contributed, in any small
way....

Now, what IS the reading list for Lua, besides "lua list" ?

Let's see, I got:

Lua 5.1 Ref manual (bought it on principal to support the cause)
Programming in Lua 2nd Edition
Beginning Lua Programming (WROX)
Game Development With Lua - (Charles River Media).

I purchased the "Game Dev...." book because I didn't see a lot on the
market, but was a general waste compared to the PIL book, sigh.

--Ken

> I noticed errata, too. Hope you don't mind:

Not at all. Many thanks!

Re: [ANN] Lua Programming Gems now available at Amazon

Mark Meijer-2
Delayed reply, but.... w00t! :-)

2008/12/14 Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]>:
> We are proud to announce that the book "Lua Programming Gems" has been
> published and is now available at Amazon:
>        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/8590379841/lua-home-20
>
> Check out the table of contents, the front matter, and a sample chapter
> (by Roberto) at
>        http://www.lua.org/gems/
>
> To quote from the preface:
>    We thank all the authors for their hard work on the articles and
>    everyone that submitted abstracts in the first phase. We also thank
>    the whole Lua community for its friendliness and expertise. The
>    active participation of our users has been to us a constant source
>    of motivation for improving Lua. Finally, we give our warm thanks to
>    Cameron Laird and Mark Hamburg for writing forewords to this book.
>
> --lhf, for the editors

12