[ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

[ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Benjamin Cabé
Hello,

The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but a
really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to JNLua,
the tooling is cross-platform! :-)

Available features:
* Syntax coloring
* Error markers
* Outline
* Code folding
* Code templates
* Occurrence highlighting
* *Debugger*

Features to be implemented soon:
* LuaDoc support
* Custom interpreter definition

To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the Koneki
update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help > Install New
Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".

Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
<http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/> to learn more about the project, watch a
quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].

FYI, Koneki is an Eclipse project aiming at providing Machine-to-Machine
developers with tools to help them in their day-to-day job. Lua being a
language very well-suited for embedded targets, Koneki initial focus has
been set on establishing a good development environment for it.
In the next future, Koneki aims (along with other Eclipse initiatives) at
using a common abstraction of what an M2M solution is, to deliver even
more development tools: simulators, communication simulators, code
generators,...

Looking forward to getting your feedback!
Cheers,
Benjamin.

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/koneki/updates-nightly
[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Koneki

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Ignacio Burgueño

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Looking forward to getting your feedback!
Cheers,
Benjamin.

Hi. I tried to install it, but it fails with the following error.

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: Lua Development Tools (Incubator) 0.1.0.201111140936 (org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.feature.group 0.1.0.201111140936)
  Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Lua Development Tools (Incubator) 0.1.0.201111140936 (org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.feature.group 0.1.0.201111140936) requires 'com.naef.jnlua.windows64 0.0.0' but it could not be found

I'm on Windows 7 64 bits.
I have downloaded jnlua-0.9.1 but it seems that it's not being picked up by Eclipse. Do you have any pointers on how to install jnlua properly?

Regards,
Ignacio

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Stefan Reich
Hi Benjamin.

That sounds pretty awesome! Nice website.

I'm still dreaming of a Lua IDE that is smart enough to see what types
my variables have and what methods the objects support. If the code is
not extremely tricky - it should actually be possible.

Now THIS would bring Lua in a league with the compiler languages.

Stefan

PS: I'm just installing Eclipse which according to apt-get is almost
infinitely large (310MB!!).

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
> availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
> Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
> Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
> would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but a
> really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
> integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
> We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to JNLua,
> the tooling is cross-platform! :-)
>
> Available features:
> * Syntax coloring
> * Error markers
> * Outline
> * Code folding
> * Code templates
> * Occurrence highlighting
> * *Debugger*
>
> Features to be implemented soon:
> * LuaDoc support
> * Custom interpreter definition
>
> To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the Koneki
> update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help > Install New
> Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".
>
> Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
> <http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/> to learn more about the project, watch a
> quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
> Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].
>
> FYI, Koneki is an Eclipse project aiming at providing Machine-to-Machine
> developers with tools to help them in their day-to-day job. Lua being a
> language very well-suited for embedded targets, Koneki initial focus has
> been set on establishing a good development environment for it.
> In the next future, Koneki aims (along with other Eclipse initiatives) at
> using a common abstraction of what an M2M solution is, to deliver even
> more development tools: simulators, communication simulators, code
> generators,...
>

> Looking forward to getting your feedback!
> Cheers,
> Benjamin.
>
> [1] http://download.eclipse.org/koneki/updates-nightly
> [2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Koneki

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Benjamin Cabé
Hi Ignacio,

It looks like jnlua for Windows 64 bits was missing in the update site we were building… Sorry for that!
I just fixed it ; you should now be able to install it correctly, hopefully :) Note that you may need to restart Eclipse to load the latest version of the update site, which is sometimes held in cache a bit too "optimistically"!

Thanks!
Benjamin

Regards,
Ignacio

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ignacio,

It looks like jnlua for Windows 64 bits was missing in the update site we were building… Sorry for that!
I just fixed it ; you should now be able to install it correctly, hopefully :) Note that you may need to restart Eclipse to load the latest version of the update site, which is sometimes held in cache a bit too "optimistically"!

Thanks!
Benjamin

It is working now. It looks good so far. Thanks!

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

steve donovan
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Stefan Reich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still dreaming of a Lua IDE that is smart enough to see what types
> my variables have and what methods the objects support. If the code is
> not extremely tricky - it should actually be possible.

I'm excited about this official Eclipse project. Jason Santos really
has not had any time for LuaEclipse, unfortunately.

Fabien has provided some patches to ldoc so that one can document
parameters with explicit types. (currently I'm toying with a '@tparam
string name' notation).  He does a lot of powerful static analysis
with Metalua, but full type inference is probably impossible without
run-time profiling.

Google Dart has the idea of 'optional type annotations'  built-in;
establishing a standard way to specify explicit types in the
documentation is another less intrusive way forward.  That can really
help an IDE provide a richer experience.

BTW, how these types are specified gets interesting. Built-in and
known object classes are straightforward (and the tool can hyperlink
these), but we need a convention for aggregate types:

{string,...}  -- an array of strings
{string,number}  -- a tuple
{X=number,Y=number,Z=number}  -- a 'record'
{[string]=Foo,...}  -- a 'map' with string keys and Foo values

steve d.

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Fabien-3
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Stefan Reich <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm still dreaming of a Lua IDE that is smart enough to see what types
my variables have and what methods the objects support.

This is definitely on our roadmap. There are some real challenges, though: type inference is about propagating constraints across variables on which values they're allowed to contain. If your language and type system haven't been designed explicitly to facilitate this propagation (in practice, if your type system isn't based on Hindley & Milner's), you won't be able to guess much about variable, unless users put a lot of type annotations in their code. Moreover, the constraints system quickly becomes unmanageable when subsumption (implicit subtyping) involved. And we need some subtyping in Lua. For instance a type "anything" to type the 2nd arg of table.insert(): this "anything" is a supertype of every other, more precise type.

So we consider parsing an extended version of luadoc tags, to extract optional typing hints from them without breaking the language; this will allow users to specify the types handled by their APIs. Some things will most likely not be handled: for instance, "table.insert(table, [number, ] anything)" would require an extremely sophisticated  type system to handle the optional 2nd arg (signature overloading is the 2nd nemesis of type inference systems, with subtyping). Once the type annotation system works properly, we'll be able to progressively add local inference rules, to guess parts of what the user hasn't annotated. We'll most likely do that in Lua/Metalua, so that proficient Lua developers will be able to tweak it without needing to know the intricacies of the Eclipse SDK.

RE: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Geoff Smith
Hi

Thanks for posting this, I would have liked to have tried Eclipse, but I am afraid to say your comment of

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Eike Decker
2011/11/14 Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
> availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
> Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
> Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
> would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but a
> really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
> integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
> We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to JNLua,
> the tooling is cross-platform! :-)
>
> Available features:
> * Syntax coloring
> * Error markers
> * Outline
> * Code folding
> * Code templates
> * Occurrence highlighting
> * *Debugger*
>
> Features to be implemented soon:
> * LuaDoc support
> * Custom interpreter definition
>
> To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the Koneki
> update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help > Install New
> Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".
>
> Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
> <http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/> to learn more about the project, watch a
> quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
> Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].
>
> FYI, Koneki is an Eclipse project aiming at providing Machine-to-Machine
> developers with tools to help them in their day-to-day job. Lua being a
> language very well-suited for embedded targets, Koneki initial focus has
> been set on establishing a good development environment for it.
> In the next future, Koneki aims (along with other Eclipse initiatives) at
> using a common abstraction of what an M2M solution is, to deliver even
> more development tools: simulators, communication simulators, code
> generators,...
>

> Looking forward to getting your feedback!
> Cheers,
> Benjamin.
>
> [1] http://download.eclipse.org/koneki/updates-nightly
> [2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Koneki

I had problems installling it because the DLTK project isn't showing
up on my project. The installation repository for DLTK can be added
with the information from [1].
Looking now at it.

Cheers,
Eike

[1] http://eclipse.org/dltk/install.php

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Dain Bray
  This IDE seems very nice, thanks for the work!

   One thing that would be nice to see:

 Highlighting of built in lua functions, so stuff such as setmetatable, ipairs, pairs, string.gsub, table.sort etc

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Krunal Rao
On 14 November 2011 18:11, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Available features:
> * Syntax coloring
> * ...
> * *Debugger*
>
> Features to be implemented soon:
> * LuaDoc support
> * Custom interpreter definition

Hi, thanks for sharing this work!

Quick question, does this mean that at the moment it is not possible
to use LuaJIT for debugging and error marking scripts which use
features available in LuaJIT ?

Cheers

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Julien Desgats
2011/11/16 Krunal Rao <[hidden email]>:

> On 14 November 2011 18:11, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Available features:
>> * Syntax coloring
>> * ...
>> * *Debugger*
>>
>> Features to be implemented soon:
>> * LuaDoc support
>> * Custom interpreter definition
>
> Hi, thanks for sharing this work!
>
> Quick question, does this mean that at the moment it is not possible
> to use LuaJIT for debugging and error marking scripts which use
> features available in LuaJIT ?
>
> Cheers

Hi,
I'm the main author of the LDT's debugger. I just ran debugger test
suite (not yet in the git repo) against LuaJIT beta 8 (never tried
before) and most tests fail. So, no at this time LuaJIT is not
supported.

For what I've seen, there is problems with breakpoint control and with
LuaSocket which uses deprecated features (notably arg for vararg
functions in ltn12) which are not available in LuaJIT. I'm not well
aware of debugging in LuaJIT, it there any difference of behavior
between Lua and LuaJIT APIs ?

On Eclipse side, the only debug launch configuration available at this
time is the remote debug: you have full control on how the script is
started (standalone Lua, embedded script, LuaJIT, ...) as long as it
connects to IDE, it works. So support of LuaJIT (or any other
interpreter) is not a problem on this side.

Regards,
Julien

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Philippe Lhoste
On 14/11/2011 19:11, Benjamin Cabé wrote:
> The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
> availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
> Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
> Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
> would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but a
> really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
> integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
> We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to JNLua,
> the tooling is cross-platform! :-)
[...]
> To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the Koneki
> update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help>  Install New
> Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".
>
> Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
> <http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/>  to learn more about the project, watch a
> quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
> Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].

This looks very interesting, I should try it.

A remark, about this announcement, and the page you link to: with a glance, it is hard to
tell if the product is commercial, open source (with which license?) or other...
There are hints: the fact the project seems to be an official Eclipse one, the access to
the source code... So I can suppose it is open source, likely to be under the EPL license.

But since there are commercial IDEs for Lua, and commercial plug-ins for Eclipse, I think
it is better to be explicit about this.

Just a kind advice. Looks great, and the page is very professional. :-)

It is a bit funny to use a behemoth like Eclipse to work on a lightweight language like
Lua, but some people (lot of Java programmers, some C/C++ ones, etc.) already have the
IDE, so it is not a real problem...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Thomas Fletcher

On 11-11-17 4:55 AM, "Philippe Lhoste" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 14/11/2011 19:11, Benjamin Cabé wrote:
>> The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
>> availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
>> Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
>> Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
>> would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but
>> really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
>> integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
>> We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to
>>JNLua,
>> the tooling is cross-platform! :-)
>[...]
>> To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the
>>Koneki
>> update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help>  Install New
>> Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".
>>
>> Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
>> <http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/>  to learn more about the project,
>>watch a
>> quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
>> Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].
>
>This looks very interesting, I should try it.
>
>A remark, about this announcement, and the page you link to: with a
>glance, it is hard to
>tell if the product is commercial, open source (with which license?) or
>other...
>There are hints: the fact the project seems to be an official Eclipse
>one, the access to
>the source code... So I can suppose it is open source, likely to be under
>the EPL license.

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment.

>But since there are commercial IDEs for Lua, and commercial plug-ins for
>Eclipse, I think
>it is better to be explicit about this.
>
>Just a kind advice. Looks great, and the page is very professional. :-)
>
>It is a bit funny to use a behemoth like Eclipse to work on a lightweight
>language like
>Lua, but some people (lot of Java programmers, some C/C++ ones, etc.)
>already have the
>IDE, so it is not a real problem...

What is interesting to me is that as a company whose product contains an
integrated Lua interpreter we've invested time in integrating LuaEclipse
into our project and contributing fixes and changes back to that project,
I'm hoping that this team is working with Jason Santos and the various
folks who've cloned that git repository to make sure we're not stepping
backwards.

That being said, since our embedded UI development suite Crank Storyboard
(http://www.cranksoftware.com/storyboard) is Eclipse based and we are
heavy Lua users we're happy to pledge our support to this new Eclipse
project if the community consensus is that that is where Lua Eclipse IDE
lovers should congregate.

Congratulations guys!  We look forward to working with you!

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
Crank Software Inc.

There is a better way to build user interfaces for embedded devices.
Download a 30 day evaluation
<http://www.cranksoftware.com/products/eval.php> of Crank Storyboard Suite
today

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Jon Akhtar
As the developer of Lua support for the IntelliJ IDE, I am pleased to see some activity on the Eclipse front. BTW, I am jealous of your website it is quite nice looking.

Perhaps there might be ways we can find to work together and share ideas on how to solve what are probably common challenges for example how to provide completion and documentation for embedded Lua API's. It would be great for example to have a way to specify an API that is supported both in Eclipse and IntelliJ. That is just the first thing that comes to mind, there are many others I am certain.

Cheers,

Jon

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thomas, Philippe, et al.

>>There are hints: the fact the project seems to be an official Eclipse
>>one, the access to
>>the source code... So I can suppose it is open source, likely to be under
>>the EPL license.
>
>I agree wholeheartedly with this comment.

We will make that more clear [1] on the project page (sorry if it looks
too professional :-)) but yes, indeed, the project is Open Source, under
the EPL license.
The whole source code is available at
http://git.eclipse.org/c/koneki/org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.git , with a mirror
at https://github.com/eclipse/koneki.ldt for people more familiar with
github.

Thomas, since I assume you are pretty familiar with Eclipse/RCP
development already, you should be glad to learn that the source code is
super-easy to build, since we rely on Maven Tycho for the build process.
Anybody checking out the source code can indeed perform a "mvn clean
install", and end up with built plugins/features/update sites + unit tests
results...

>>But since there are commercial IDEs for Lua, and commercial plug-ins for
>>Eclipse, I think
>>it is better to be explicit about this.
>>
>>Just a kind advice. Looks great, and the page is very professional. :-)
>>
>>It is a bit funny to use a behemoth like Eclipse to work on a lightweight
>>language like
>>Lua, but some people (lot of Java programmers, some C/C++ ones, etc.)
>>already have the
>>IDE, so it is not a real problem...
>
>What is interesting to me is that as a company whose product contains an
>integrated Lua interpreter we've invested time in integrating LuaEclipse
>into our project and contributing fixes and changes back to that project,
>I'm hoping that this team is working with Jason Santos and the various
>folks who've cloned that git repository to make sure we're not stepping
>backwards.

We reached out to Jason back when we started working seriously on
developing a Lua development environment (yes, we also build commercial
products on top of Eclipse :)), and when we felt that using DLTK [2]
(together with Metalua) would be the best way to get most of the features
people usually expect from an IDE (outline, code folding, Š) "virtually
for free" (vs the ANTLR approach of LuaEclipse 1.x). Then, we started to
work on providing debugging support based on the DBGP protocol. This was
all done on the github fork of Jason's LuaEclipse 2.x prototype, thus with
no more support for LuaDoc, Lua profiler, etc. We would of course welcome
and help anyone volunteering to bring these features back to LDT! While
these features are indeed missing in LDT just now, I would not say that
LDT is that far behind LuaEclipse 1.x in terms of provided features (but
please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong!)

At the time we made the decision to go under the umbrella of the Eclipse
Foundation, we thought (and we've been proven very right so far) it would
bring us a lot of advantages: infrastructure for continuous integration,
bug tracking, mailing list, forum, more visibility, ...

>That being said, since our embedded UI development suite Crank Storyboard
>(http://www.cranksoftware.com/storyboard) is Eclipse based and we are
>heavy Lua users we're happy to pledge our support to this new Eclipse
>project if the community consensus is that that is where Lua Eclipse IDE
>lovers should congregate.

FWIW we will provide an "all-in-one" distribution soon, that should "only"
be ~40MB large, for ppl who do not want/need to install a full-featured
Eclipse SDK and/or don't want to deal with the sometimes cryptic update
site stuff :)

>Congratulations guys!  We look forward to working with you!

Same here! :) That's literally thrilling to get such positive feedback!

FYI the Koneki-dev mailing list is here [3], and the forum (for more
general questions) is here [4].

Cheers,
Benjamin -

[1] - https://bugs.eclipse.org/364051
[2] - http://eclipse.org/dltk/
[4] - http://www.eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.koneki

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Benjamin Cabé

>  This IDE seems very nice, thanks for the work!

Thank you! :-)

> One thing that would be nice to see:
> Highlighting of built in lua functions, so stuff such as setmetatable,
>ipairs, pairs, string.gsub, table.sort etc

You might want to follow the progress of this bug then
https://bugs.eclipse.org/364059 ... or perhaps you'll want to provide a
patch? ;)

Cheers,
Benjamin ‹

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Jon Akhtar <[hidden email]> wrote:
As the developer of Lua support for the IntelliJ IDE [...]

Perhaps there might be ways we can find to work together [...] on common challenges

 We sure hope so!

We currently delegate all semantic operations to Metalua; on the Java side, there's mostly an adapter which translates metalua ASTs into DLTK ASTs. We plan to keep things that way for all analysis and refactoring operations. Two main consequences of that choice are:
  • Hacking the semantic analysis of LDT will require some proficiency with Lua, but as little as possible with DLTK/Eclipse SDK. Because Lua hackers are the people most likely to contribute interesting stuff to LDT.
  • The language barrier prevents us from coupling semantic analysis with Eclipse/DLTK. As a result, those services will remain easier to adapt to other tools, and we sure would be thrilled to share them with IntelliJ.

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Benjamin Cabé
> Hi

Hi Jeff,

> Thanks for posting this, I would have liked to have tried Eclipse, but I am afraid to say your comment of

It looks like you pushed the "Send" button a bit too quickly… then end of your message is missing! ;-)

Benjamin -

Re: [ANN] Lua Development Tools available at Eclipse.org

Jon Akhtar
> We currently delegate all semantic operations to Metalua; on the Java side,

I don't use Metalua presently, but am interested in exploring the
topic further. To build an AST I just hacked a java port of the Lua
parser from LuaJ/Kahlua to build an AST while it parses. IntelliJ
requires you to build an AST that contains every token in the file so
that you can reproduce the file exactly if given the AST built from
it.

I'd be interested to see how I could incorporate Metalua into the process.

> The language barrier prevents us from coupling semantic analysis with
> Eclipse/DLTK. As a result, those services will remain easier to adapt to
> other tools, and we sure would be thrilled to share them with IntelliJ.

We could probably take this question off the list, but could that work
be licensed under MIT or something less restrictive than EPL?

Jon

12