[ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.3-rc2.tar.gz

The checksums are
        MD5 ef63ed2ecfb713646a7fcc583cf5f352  -
        SHA1 1dda2ef23a9828492b4595c0197766de6e784bc7  -

Lua 5.4.3 fixes all bugs listed in
        http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.4.2

Lua 5.4.3 also contains several internal improvements and
includes a revised reference manual:
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/

The complete diffs from Lua 5.4.2 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.2-lua-5.4.3.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.2-lua-5.4.3.html

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.4 till now.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Andrew Gierth
The use of defined(__GNUC__) alone for the conditional for
__builtin_expect is ugly; there may be non-gcc compilers that support it
too.

You could do something like:

#ifdef __has_builtin
#define luai_has_builtin(x) __has_builtin(x)
#else
#define luai_has_builtin(x) 0
#endif

#if luai_has_builtin(__builtin_expect) || (__GNUC__ >= 3)
#define luai_likely(x)   (__builtin_expect(((x) != 0), 1))
#define luai_unlikely(x) (__builtin_expect(((x) != 0), 0))
#else
#define luai_likely(x)   ((x) != 0)
#define luai_unlikely(x) ((x) != 0)
#endif

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Gé Weijers

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Andrew Gierth <[hidden email]> wrote:
The use of defined(__GNUC__) alone for the conditional for
__builtin_expect is ugly; there may be non-gcc compilers that support it
too.
[...]

You can override these definitions to whatever you like already. The (embedded) compilers I've used seem to be either GNU or LLVM based, or so different from a GNU compiler that this scheme will not work. In case a compiler ever shows up for which this scheme would work you can modify luaconf.h and add another test, that's what it is for.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Sergey Zakharchenko
Luiz, list,

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]>:
> Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.3-rc2.tar.gz

Some minor nitpicks follow.

- 'jucst':
https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/eadd8c7178c79c814ecca9652973a9b9dd4cc71b/lstate.c#L272

> Lua 5.4.3 also contains several internal improvements and
> includes a revised reference manual:
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc/

- you may want to use similar verbiage for these ("is a true value" vs
"a value of true", while they essentially refer to just a truthy
value, not necessarily the literal true):
https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/eadd8c7178c79c814ecca9652973a9b9dd4cc71b/manual/manual.of#L7028
https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/eadd8c7178c79c814ecca9652973a9b9dd4cc71b/manual/manual.of#L7054

- in a lot of places, 'returns @true' and 'returns true' are used
interchangeably (and thus a bit incoherently) in the manual; you
probably know that already...

As usual, thanks for all the effort put into this!

Best regards,

DoubleF

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Some minor nitpicks follow.
>
> [...]

Thanks for the feedback.

> - in a lot of places, 'returns @true' and 'returns true' are used
> interchangeably (and thus a bit incoherently) in the manual; you
> probably know that already...

Usually, we use '@true' when we want to emphasize that it returns the
boolean true; 'true' means something like "a true value that happens
to be @true". (We also use 'true' when talking about C code.) But
it may be incoherent in some places.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) now available

Lua 5.4.3 (rc2) is available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/
Download it and give it a try.

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.4.3 till now.

If there is no further feedback on Lua 5.4.3, we'll freeze it next week,
and it will become the current release of Lua 5.4.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.
--lhf