[ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.2-rc1.tar.gz

The checksums are
        MD5 49c92d6a49faba342c35c52e1ac3f81e  -
        SHA1 96d4a21393c94bed286b8dc0568f4bdde8730b22  -

Lua 5.4.2 fixes all bugs listed in
        http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.4.1

Like all minor releases, this is a bug-fix release: no new features
have been added.

Lua 5.4.2 also contains several internal improvements, specially a
reversal back to a stackless VM implementation, which uses less C
stack space.

Lua 5.4.2 also includes a revised reference manual:
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/

The complete diffs from Lua 5.4.1 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.1-lua-5.4.2.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.1-lua-5.4.2.html

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.4 till now.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) is available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/
Download it and give it a try.

Lua 5.4.2 reverses back to a stackless VM implementation, which uses less C
stack space.

We have received no feedback on Lua 5.4.2. Does that mean that everything is
perfect with this release and that we can freeze it soon?

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Spar
All feedback welcome
I can confirm Ackerman function is working on this version fine again (confirming stackless VM working).
Also can confirm this version fixed the error on calling "next" that was broken due to GC (confirming this bug being fixed).

On 23 Nov 2020, 15:34 +0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) is available for testing at
http://www.lua.org/work/
Download it and give it a try.

Lua 5.4.2 reverses back to a stackless VM implementation, which uses less C
stack space.

We have received no feedback on Lua 5.4.2. Does that mean that everything is
perfect with this release and that we can freeze it soon?

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> I can confirm Ackerman function is working on this version fine again
> (confirming stackless VM working).
> Also can confirm this version fixed the error on calling "next" that was
> broken due to GC (confirming this bug
> <http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2020-10/msg00092.html> being fixed).

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Gé Weijers
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 4:34 AM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have received no feedback on Lua 5.4.2. Does that mean that everything is
> perfect with this release and that we can freeze it soon?

For what it's worth: I have nothing negative to report.
So far everything I've tested has been working, on 64-bit Intel (macOS
and Debian Linux 10) and 64-bit ARM (macOS).

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) is available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/
Download it and give it a try.

Lua 5.4.2 reverses back to a stackless VM implementation,
which uses less C stack space.

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.4 till now.

If there is no further feedback on Lua 5.4.2, we'll freeze it next week,
and it will become the current release of Lua 5.4.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.2 (rc1) now available

Vinicius Jarina
Hi Luiz
Is there any change in the tests https://www.lua.org/tests/ ?
The current tests seems to be failing on 5.4.2

../osx-64/bin64/lua: cstack.lua:115: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'assert'
cstack.lua:115: in main chunk
(...tail calls...)