[ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.1 has been frozen and is now the current release of Lua 5.4.

Like all minor releases, this is a bug-fix release.
Lua 5.4.1 fixes all bugs listed in
        http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.4.0

Lua 5.4.1 is available at
        http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.4.1.tar.gz

The checksums are
        MD5 1d575faef1c907292edd79e7a2784d30  -
        SHA1 88961e7d4fda58ca2c6163938fd48db8880e803d  -

For installation and building instructions, see
        http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/readme.html

The complete source code of Lua 5.4.1 is available for browsing at
        http://www.lua.org/source/5.4/

The complete diffs from Lua 5.4.0 to Lua 5.4.1 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-lua-5.4.1.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-lua-5.4.1.html

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.4 till now.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Vinicius Jarina
Hi Luis congrats on the new release
I've noticed the new version is still crashing with a C stack overflow on sieve.lua program.

This was working fine on Lua 5.4.0

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 10:19 AM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ahmed Charles
Congratulations.

I just noticed a typo in a comment, in lvm.c (delat -> delta):
/* delat is virtual 'func' - real 'func' (vararg functions) */

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

> I've noticed the new version is still crashing with a C stack overflow on
> sieve.lua program.
> I've sent a report 2 months ago
> http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-5-4-0-patch-2-causes-C-stackoverflow-td7691107.html
>
> This was working fine on Lua 5.4.0

What is your system? Did you try changing the C stack limit?

Try to run [1] and also read its comments starting on Line 9.

[1] https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/testes/cstack.lua

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> > I've noticed the new version is still crashing with a C stack overflow on
> > sieve.lua program.
> > I've sent a report 2 months ago
> > http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-5-4-0-patch-2-causes-C-stackoverflow-td7691107.html
> >
> > This was working fine on Lua 5.4.0
>
> What is your system? Did you try changing the C stack limit?
>
> Try to run [1] and also read its comments starting on Line 9.
>
> [1] https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/testes/cstack.lua

Apropos, version 5.4.2 will roll back to the previous stackless
implementation. This C-stack issue is causing too much noise.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Andrew Gierth

 Roberto> Apropos, version 5.4.2 will roll back to the previous
 Roberto> stackless implementation. This C-stack issue is causing too
 Roberto> much noise.

Will there be a way for a (C) program linked against 5.4.x to tell
whether it is dealing with a C-stack-based or stackless implementation?

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Andrew Gierth

 Roberto> Apropos, version 5.4.2 will roll back to the previous
 Roberto> stackless implementation. This C-stack issue is causing too
 Roberto> much noise.

Also, out of curiosity, has the performance impact of stack-based vs.
stackless implementation been measured, and how big is it?

Andrew.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

>  Roberto> Apropos, version 5.4.2 will roll back to the previous
>  Roberto> stackless implementation. This C-stack issue is causing too
>  Roberto> much noise.
>
> Will there be a way for a (C) program linked against 5.4.x to tell
> whether it is dealing with a C-stack-based or stackless implementation?

Yes, through the function setcstacklimit. (The limit will be fixed.)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

>  Roberto> Apropos, version 5.4.2 will roll back to the previous
>  Roberto> stackless implementation. This C-stack issue is causing too
>  Roberto> much noise.
>
> Also, out of curiosity, has the performance impact of stack-based vs.
> stackless implementation been measured, and how big is it?

The C-stack version was a little faster (that is why we changed in
the first place), but the difference seems to be smaller now, due to
some other changes. For a few examples, the stackless implementation
seems faster.  Anyway, in programs that do stuff besides only calling
functions (that is, almost any program except benchmarks like recursive
fibonacci and Ackerman), the difference is near zero.

Logically (that is, trying to count the number of jumps, memory
reads, memory writes, etc. as written in C), I think the stackless
implementation does one extra memory read per function call.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

> I just noticed a typo in a comment, in lvm.c (delat -> delta):
> /* delat is virtual 'func' - real 'func' (vararg functions) */

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Vinicius Jarina
I've tested on Linux Ubuntu, and macOS.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 7:23 AM Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've noticed the new version is still crashing with a C stack overflow on
> sieve.lua program.
> I've sent a report 2 months ago
> http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-5-4-0-patch-2-causes-C-stackoverflow-td7691107.html
>
> This was working fine on Lua 5.4.0

What is your system? Did you try changing the C stack limit?

Try to run [1] and also read its comments starting on Line 9.

[1] https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/testes/cstack.lua

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.1 now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> I've tested on Linux Ubuntu, and macOS.

And the other points in the message?

- Did you try changing the C stack limit?

- Did you try to run [1] and also read its comments starting on Line 9?

[1] https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/testes/cstack.lua