[ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc4.tar.gz

The checksums are
        MD5 6597ee9049e4bf911f970b5f498c42bc  -
        SHA1 9754806b792145dc3208b68665b23f6d2b5e1682  -

This is the final version of Lua 5.4.0 (rc4).

The main changes in Lua 5.4.0 are listed at
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes

An updated reference manual is included and also available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc

The complete diffs from rc3 to rc4 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html

To build Lua in a common Unix-like platform, just do
        make
The Makefile will guess your platform using uname and build Lua for it.
We welcome feedback on this, which is new, especially more uname targets
with explicit rules and fixes for existing ones.

We also welcome feedback on the listings output by luac -l -l, because
luac has been rewritten to account for the new VM instructions.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Phil Leblanc
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:22 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc4.tar.gz

Thanks for the rc4.

I suggest to add a note to the 'os.exit()' description in the
reference manual, section 6.9 [1]
to clarify a point that may not be obvious to all users. Something like:

   "If the optional second argument 'close' is false or not provided,
the to-be-closed variable finalizers are not called."

[1] http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html#6.9

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Gé Weijers

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:23 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc4.tar.gz

Thanks for fixing the issue I reported with the __close method not being called when exiting a do ... end block. I've run a number of tests, including about 10 million randomly generated test cases (having "load" can be useful), and all seems to be well.

(It always amazes me how fast the Lua system is, the test cases are compiled and executed at a speed of over 10000/second)

Thanks again,

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:23 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) is now available for testing at
> >         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc4.tar.gz
> >

> Thanks for fixing the issue I reported with the __close method not being
> called when exiting a do ... end block. I've run a number of tests,
> including about 10 million randomly generated test cases (having "load" can
> be useful), and all seems to be well.

Again, thanks for the help. Note that there was a second bug, quite
similar to this one, concerning the implicit <close> variables in a
for loop. (Also a confusion between a variable compile index and its
stack index.)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Jerome Vuarand
On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 20:23, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The complete diffs from rc3 to rc4 are available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html

Looking at the diff I noticed the introduction of luaL_pushfail. It's
the first time I notice this *fail* concept in the manual. But
searching through the latest manual.html it seems it's only defined in
section 6, some ways down from where luaL_pushfail is documented. So
maybe this warrants a forward link (some kind of "see *fail* below")
as the concept is referenced before being introduced.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
We are close to freezing Lua 5.4.0.
This is the time to report glitches and bugs.
All feedback welcome. Thanks..

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Lorenzo Donati-3
On 01/06/2020 21:22, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) is now available for testing at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc4.tar.gz
>
> The checksums are
> MD5 6597ee9049e4bf911f970b5f498c42bc  -
> SHA1 9754806b792145dc3208b68665b23f6d2b5e1682  -
>
> This is the final version of Lua 5.4.0 (rc4).
>
> The main changes in Lua 5.4.0 are listed at
> http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes
>
> An updated reference manual is included and also available at
> http://www.lua.org/work/doc
>
> The complete diffs from rc3 to rc4 are available at
> http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html
> http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-rc3-rc4.html
>
> To build Lua in a common Unix-like platform, just do
> make
> The Makefile will guess your platform using uname and build Lua for it.
> We welcome feedback on this, which is new, especially more uname targets
> with explicit rules and fixes for existing ones.
>
> We also welcome feedback on the listings output by luac -l -l, because
> luac has been rewritten to account for the new VM instructions.
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Are the tests the same as for RC3?

I get an assertion failure:

***** FILE 'utf8.lua'*****
testing UTF-8 library
    234     236     237     239
240     242     243     245
246
..................................................................................................G:\root\main\core\Lua\install\lua-build\Lua-5.4.0-rc4-newbuild\lua\bin\lua.exe:
utf8.lua:11: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'assert'
        utf8.lua:11: in local 'checkerror'
        utf8.lua:118: in main chunk
        (...tail calls...)
        all.lua:193: in main chunk
        [C]: in ?
 >>> closing state <<<

My setup is:

Windows-7 SP1 64bit
TDM-GCC 32bit

I had no problem with the same setup with RC3.

-- Lorenzo

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Lorenzo Donati-3

> My setup is:
>
> Windows-7 SP1 64bit
> TDM-GCC 32bit
>
> I had no problem with the same setup with RC3.
>
> -- Lorenzo

Sorry, I forgot the version:

GCC 9.2.0

I get the same error even if I compile with
TDM-Gcc 64bit (v.9.2.0).

RC3 had no problem.

-- Lorenzo

P.S.: BTW, the assertion contains a lot of BS ASCII chars before those
numbers, but my mail client doesn't allow copying them in.

Get the test suite here: http://www.lua.org/work/index.html

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

> Are the tests the same as for RC3?
>
> I get an assertion failure:
>
> ***** FILE 'utf8.lua'*****
> testing UTF-8 library
>  [...]
> utf8.lua:11: assertion failed!
> stack traceback:
> [...]

The tests are different. (This error regards a change in the text
of some error messages.)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Andrew Gierth

 Roberto> The tests are different. (This error regards a change in the
 Roberto> text of some error messages.)

Are these tests not expected to be very portable? This is the first time
I've tried running them...

So far I've run into:

1. Interactive test assumes that readline will output the prompt even if
stdin is not a tty, which seems to be false when using libedit

2. lseek on a tty is expected to fail, which is not the case on FreeBSD
(posix spec says this is implementation-defined)

3. popen/execute test seems to assume that execution of the command
   "sh -c 'kill -s HUP $$'" will exit, rather than die of signal 1

Andrew.

See instructions and caveats in https://www.lua.org/tests/

On 08/06/2020 19:27, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> Are the tests the same as for RC3?
>
> Get the test suite here: http://www.lua.org/work/index.html

Thanks.

I can confirm that with the new suite I got no errors
with both setups I mentioned in my previous posts.

Cheers!

-- Lorenzo

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc4) now available

Andrew Gierth

 >> Are these tests not expected to be very portable? This is the first
 >> time I've tried running them...

 Luiz> See instructions and caveats in https://www.lua.org/tests/

Gotcha.

Other than the platform dependencies I mentioned before, everything
seems to work.

--
Andrew.