[ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz

The checksums are
        MD5 276c5d873d9358fd82d1a3c372123e38  -
        SHA1 33257f2b5c3fb4966b3a5a67611c1d4aaf72dca8  -

This is the final version of Lua 5.4.0 (rc1).

The main changes in Lua 5.4.0 are listed at
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes

An updated reference manual is included and also available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc

The complete diffs from beta to rc1 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html

A test suite is available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-tests.tar.gz

To build Lua in a common Unix-like platform, just do
        make
The Makefile will guess your platform using uname and build Lua for it.
We welcome feedback on this, which is new, especially more uname targets
with explicit rules and fixes for existing ones.

We also welcome feedback on the listings output by luac -l -l, because
luac has been rewritten to account for the new VM instructions.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Michal Kottman-2
Thank you for publishing this!

Total nitpick - in the diffs I see some misaligned formatting, e.g. search for "no file 'blabla.so'" and also the bit table in src/lopcodes.h and OP_LOADFALSE.

Is this intended or is it just my browser misrendering something?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Total nitpick - in the diffs I see some misaligned formatting, e.g. search for "no file 'blabla.so'" and also the bit table in src/lopcodes.h and OP_LOADFALSE.

Some tabs have been replaced by spaces and perhaps vice-versa. The
leading diff marks '> ' and '<' create this misalignment. diff may
have an option to fix that but I'd rather show that there has been
changes instead of otherwise.

const disptab (was Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available)

William Ahern
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:44:16AM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
<snip>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Maybe add const qualifier to disptab array in ljumptab.h?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

云风 Cloud Wu
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> 于2020年4月15日周三 下午9:45写道:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz

I built it in x86_64-w64-mingw32 , gcc version 8.2.0 (Rev1, Built by
MSYS2 project), it reports a warning :

loadlib.c:209:21: warning: cast between incompatible function types
from 'FARPROC' {aka 'long long int (*)()'} to 'int (*)(lua_State *)'
{aka 'int (*)(struct lua_State *)'} [-Wcast-function-type]
   lua_CFunction f = (lua_CFunction)GetProcAddress((HMODULE)lib, sym);
                                ^

I guess we can cast it to `cast first to void (*)(void)` first to fix it,

  lua_CFunction f = (lua_CFunction)(void
(*)(void))GetProcAddress((HMODULE)lib, sym);

It looks ugly, but it works.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

云风 Cloud Wu
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> 于2020年4月15日周三 下午9:45写道:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz

The struct `UTString` is removed.
https://github.com/lua/lua/commit/c5feac2b5edf86aa9bdc4b8acd5380f2fe9e197f#diff-42b714eabd614cd1007e2cdfe60f9dbb
But it's still in comments.

/*
** Header for string value; string bytes follow the end of this structure
** (aligned according to 'UTString'; see next).
*/

https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/lobject.h#L360

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Daurnimator
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 at 23:45, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz
>
> The checksums are
>         MD5     276c5d873d9358fd82d1a3c372123e38  -
>         SHA1    33257f2b5c3fb4966b3a5a67611c1d4aaf72dca8  -
>
> This is the final version of Lua 5.4.0 (rc1).
>
> The main changes in Lua 5.4.0 are listed at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes
>
> An updated reference manual is included and also available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc
>
> The complete diffs from beta to rc1 are available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html
>
> A test suite is available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-tests.tar.gz
>
> To build Lua in a common Unix-like platform, just do
>         make
> The Makefile will guess your platform using uname and build Lua for it.
> We welcome feedback on this, which is new, especially more uname targets
> with explicit rules and fixes for existing ones.
>
> We also welcome feedback on the listings output by luac -l -l, because
> luac has been rewritten to account for the new VM instructions.
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Quick first round of feedback; not looking at any language changes yet:

On archlinux (x86_64):

Running the tests I get a failure in files.lua line 745.
The test `sh -c 'kill -s HUP $$'` returns `nil signal 1` rather than
the expected 'exited'.

I get one reported error from the undefined behaviour checker when
running gc.lua tests:
> lparser.c:1825:26: runtime error: applying zero offset to null pointer
This occurs when `getinstruction(fs, &v.v)` expands to
`((fs)->f->code[(&v.v)->u.info])`
and `fs->f->code` is NULL.

Compiling against musl instead of glibc:

I get a failure in strings.lua:
> 'collate' locale set to 'ptb'
> ../src/lua: strings.lua:405: assertion failed!
If it helps `print("alo" < "álo", "álo" < "amo")` shows: true false
And similar again for lines 409-412.
And then again for literals.lua:273
i.e. something is going wrong with setlocale...

../src/lua: attrib.lua:272: assertion failed!
> package.loadlib("dont exist", "foo")
> nil    Dynamic loading not supported    open
You're not getting the "absent" the test expects.

../src/lua: files.lua:823: assertion failed!

I find the lual line-range output syntax a little weird:
`<foo.lua:108,113>`
The comma separator might look better as a colon or a hyphen?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Running the tests I get a failure in files.lua line 745.
> The test `sh -c 'kill -s HUP $$'` returns `nil signal 1` rather than
> the expected 'exited'.

Please, read the disclaimers about the test suite. In particular:

    The test suite is not a product; it is just a tool for our internal
    use. It is available here by popular demand but we cannot give any
    kind of support for it. You're on your own.

A fail in a test may indicate some real problem, which only the person
running the test can properly investigate, as we do not have access to
the particular environment where the test failed.

If you investigate a fail in a test and find some real underlying
problem, please by all means report that. But just reporting the
fails is not useful.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

> The struct `UTString` is removed.
> https://github.com/lua/lua/commit/c5feac2b5edf86aa9bdc4b8acd5380f2fe9e197f#diff-42b714eabd614cd1007e2cdfe60f9dbb
> But it's still in comments.
>
> /*
> ** Header for string value; string bytes follow the end of this structure
> ** (aligned according to 'UTString'; see next).
> */

Thanks.

Re: const disptab (was Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available)

> Maybe add const qualifier to disptab array in ljumptab.h?

Sure. Thanks,

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Gabriel Bertilson
I discovered a typo in the manual
(https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/9e0a8475cdd53af664b807c4f0c4d53088a7faf2/manual/manual.of#L9016):
bevhavior.

— Gabriel

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 8:45 AM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz
>
> The checksums are
>         MD5     276c5d873d9358fd82d1a3c372123e38  -
>         SHA1    33257f2b5c3fb4966b3a5a67611c1d4aaf72dca8  -
>
> This is the final version of Lua 5.4.0 (rc1).
>
> The main changes in Lua 5.4.0 are listed at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes
>
> An updated reference manual is included and also available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc
>
> The complete diffs from beta to rc1 are available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html
>         http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.4.0-beta-rc1.html
>
> A test suite is available at
>         http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-tests.tar.gz
>
> To build Lua in a common Unix-like platform, just do
>         make
> The Makefile will guess your platform using uname and build Lua for it.
> We welcome feedback on this, which is new, especially more uname targets
> with explicit rules and fixes for existing ones.
>
> We also welcome feedback on the listings output by luac -l -l, because
> luac has been rewritten to account for the new VM instructions.
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> I discovered a typo in the manual
> (https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/9e0a8475cdd53af664b807c4f0c4d53088a7faf2/manual/manual.of#L9016):
> bevhavior.

Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Russell Haley

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 6:45 AM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A small patch to the mingw target would allow lua to build with the llvm-mingw compiler toolchain that I'm testing for windows. The llvm linker does not support linking directly against a dll.

I've put the patch here: https://pastebin.com/Yw4ZMeqX

As usual, I'm quite late in the game but I thought I'd put it out there.

Congratulations.
Russ

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:21 PM Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Argh, sorry, I didn't realize I had patched against an older 5.4 and it fails on rc1. It's too late for me to fix it tonight so I'll try again tomorrow, but it gives you the jist of the idea.

Russ

As usual, I'm quite late in the game but I thought I'd put it out there.

Congratulations.
Russ

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Argh, sorry, I didn't realize I had patched against an older 5.4 and it
> fails on rc1. It's too late for me to fix it tonight so I'll try again
> tomorrow, but it gives you the jist of the idea.

Would you mind giving the jist of the idea in your message?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

> I get one reported error from the undefined behaviour checker when
> running gc.lua tests:
> > lparser.c:1825:26: runtime error: applying zero offset to null pointer
> This occurs when `getinstruction(fs, &v.v)` expands to
> `((fs)->f->code[(&v.v)->u.info])`
> and `fs->f->code` is NULL.

This is a real issue!

The problem seems to be that the code calls 'getinstruction' before
checking whether the code is valid (the 'check_condition' in the
following line). When the code is wrong, there may be no instruction to
be corrected.

Thanks for the report,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Argh, sorry, I didn't realize I had patched against an older 5.4 and it
> fails on rc1. It's too late for me to fix it tonight so I'll try again
> tomorrow, but it gives you the jist of the idea.

Would you mind giving the jist of the idea in your message?
Absolutely. The kids are in bed and it's nice and early.

I've been experimenting on Windows 10 and FreeBSD 12 with a project called llvm-mingw, which is a drop in replacement for the GNU gcc based mingw package. The project is a combination of the LLVM C/C++ compiler toolchain (CLang) with a fork of MinGW32 called MinGW64. The packages author, Martin Storsjo seems to be a regular contributor to both projects.

There are some differences between the GNU and LLVM linkers[1]. One of those differences is heavily exploited by the Lua community: linking directly against a dll instead of the lib file. Linking against dlls is NOT supported by the LLVM linker, it's a GNU feature. Problematically for me, the dll linking feature is used by LuaRocks and, as you know, in building Lua using the mingw target.

In my testing on Windows I can overcome the linking obstacle in LuaRocks by making a small change to the configuration file[2]. I change the order of the file extensions (move "lib" to the first element) and everything works. For Lua, Martin Storsjo has offered me a patch to Lua src/Makefile to modify the mingw target to use a link library file (lib). I've used the following patch against Lua 5.4 rc1:  https://pastebin.com/Yw4ZMeqX

The above URL is a patch that adds a linking library file for the mingw target. The change should be transparent to gcc proper, but I haven't had a chance to check yet (I saw the RC1 come out and panicked). The patch has been used with llvm-mingw on both FreeBSD 12 and Windows 10.

The reason I am forwarding this patch for upstreaming consideration is to support my WinLua Toolchain project: http://winlua.net[3]. The goal of the WinLua Toolchain is to provide a development environment for Lua on Windows and mitigate some of the pitfalls that have nothing to do with writing Lua scripts.

To that end, I have created a Windows installer that combines Lua, LuaRocks with llvm-mingw as the new "WinLua Compiler" (WLC). My package also contains a mingw32 `make` variant. With the aforementioned patch and WinLua Toolchain, Windows users can compile Lua almost exactly the same as on Linux.

I say almost because there seems to be a problem with the way the makefile calls make. The space in the path (from "Program Files (x86)") causes make to fail:

C:\Users\russh\lua\lua-5.4.0> make clean
'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
make: *** [Makefile:55: clean] Error 1

So instead I need to call it like so: `make MAKE=make.exe mingw`. It's a minor problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Conclusion:
The Makefile patch adds a linker library file to the mingw target. The patch enables a person to build Lua on Windows 10 using the llvm-mingw compiler that my WinLua toolchain is based on. I am hoping that WLC can become a standard tool for writing Lua modules and making C more accessible to people without all the Visual Studio stuff. I personally like Visual Studio, but I don't need 20GB of tools to build Lua or Lua C modules. I would be pleased if Lua could support my compiler toochain and - in time - maybe even provide a link to my download site.

If you managed to get this far, thanks for listening. And as always, thanks to the Lua team for the great language.

Regards,
Russ

[1] Those differences are listed by Martin here: https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw/#known-issues
[2] LuaSocket does not compile due to LUASOCKET_INET_PTON, that's for a different post.
[3] The current installer is functional but is a beta. I was trying to get something ready for a final release before revealing the website.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) now available

Bas Groothedde
On 15-04-2020 15:44, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.4.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.4.0-rc1.tar.gz

Thank you for your work, added as an option on https://www.luac.nl so
that people can work with bytecode and compare.

Bas Groothedde

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:41 PM Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Argh, sorry, I didn't realize I had patched against an older 5.4 and it
> fails on rc1. It's too late for me to fix it tonight so I'll try again
> tomorrow, but it gives you the jist of the idea.

Would you mind giving the jist of the idea in your message?
Absolutely. The kids are in bed and it's nice and early.

I've been experimenting on Windows 10 and FreeBSD 12 with a project called llvm-mingw, which is a drop in replacement for the GNU gcc based mingw package. The project is a combination of the LLVM C/C++ compiler toolchain (CLang) with a fork of MinGW32 called MinGW64. The packages author, Martin Storsjo seems to be a regular contributor to both projects.

There are some differences between the GNU and LLVM linkers[1]. One of those differences is heavily exploited by the Lua community: linking directly against a dll instead of the lib file. Linking against dlls is NOT supported by the LLVM linker, it's a GNU feature. Problematically for me, the dll linking feature is used by LuaRocks and, as you know, in building Lua using the mingw target.

In my testing on Windows I can overcome the linking obstacle in LuaRocks by making a small change to the configuration file[2]. I change the order of the file extensions (move "lib" to the first element) and everything works. For Lua, Martin Storsjo has offered me a patch to Lua src/Makefile to modify the mingw target to use a link library file (lib). I've used the following patch against Lua 5.4 rc1:  https://pastebin.com/Yw4ZMeqX

The above URL is a patch that adds a linking library file for the mingw target. The change should be transparent to gcc proper, but I haven't had a chance to check yet (I saw the RC1 come out and panicked). The patch has been used with llvm-mingw on both FreeBSD 12 and Windows 10.

I had apparently patched Lua differently between Windows and FreeBSD. FreeBSD has `strip` in /usr/bin, so it gets found first and the build fails. In order to run the cross compile `strip` on FreeBSD, I need to use the `llvm-strip` program. I've updated the patch to include a STRIP variable. (same link as last emails) https://pastebin.com/Yw4ZMeqX.

With the patch, my cross compile command in FreeBSD is
`make CC=i686-w64-mingw32-clang RANLIB=llvm-ranlib STRIP=llvm-strip mingw
and my install command is
`make INSTALL_TOP=/storage/build/lua-5.4.0-windows-x86 "TO_BIN=lua.exe luac.exe lua54.dll lua54.lib" install`

The  binaries have been lightly tested on Windows.

[...]

François Perrad

Le mer. 15 avr. 2020 à 15:45, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

find in attachment some fixes for minor issues (found with a linter).

François

--lhf

0003-macro.patch (792 bytes) Download Attachment
0001-stddef.patch (398 bytes) Download Attachment
0002-comma.patch (520 bytes) Download Attachment
0004-const.patch (62K) Download Attachment
123