[ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Dirk Laurie-2
Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
I have put together:

     https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Michal Kottman-2
On 28 April 2017 at 15:54, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
     https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

Thank you. This should probably also go on the lua-users Wiki, so that others can update/add content. Or do you prefer the GitHub PR approach?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

steve donovan
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:

This is a very useful start, and very complementary to the Manual.

Likewise inspired, I've started the Lua Gentle Tutorial:

https://github.com/stevedonovan/lua-gentle-intro/blob/master/readme.md

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Peter Aronoff
Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:
>
>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

To chime in with another resource, Stack Overflow has a newish part of its
site for "Documentation", and there's a section for Lua:

http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/lua/topics

I have mixed feelings about how that site works, but I think some of the
Lua material is good.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

steve donovan
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Michal Kottman
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28 April 2017 at 15:54, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> others can update/add content. Or do you prefer the GitHub PR approach?

I can't speak for Dirk, but personally I'm just so used to gh-markdown
now. We need a converter.

(My apologies to Dirk for hijacking his thread)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

iggyvolz .
Regarding: table is a standard library containing functions that involve sequences. Those functions cannot be called using object-oriented syntax.

Sure you can - you just have to call setmetatable({__index=table},<your table>).  Doesn't work if you're using a custom metatable, but it works well for things like lists.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28 April 2017 at 15:54, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> others can update/add content. Or do you prefer the GitHub PR approach?

I can't speak for Dirk, but personally I'm just so used to gh-markdown
now. We need a converter.

(My apologies to Dirk for hijacking his thread)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

> Regarding: table is a standard library containing functions that involve
> sequences. Those functions cannot be called using object-oriented syntax.
>
> Sure you can - you just have to call setmetatable({__index=table},<your
> table>).  Doesn't work if you're using a custom metatable, but it works well
> for things like lists.

I decided not to delve deeper into coroutines, userdata, the API, metamethods,
the load command, and modules than the most superficial remarks about
their existence.

But maybe a few words here would still fit in with that policy. Thanks,

Dirk

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Martin
On 04/28/2017 06:54 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:
>
>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

I prefer to represent such things in graph form. I'm using yEd graph
editor to tinker with mind maps. Also it allows to export graphics in
.svg format (see file attached) (but thus we lose ability to move nodes
by hand).

If anyone interested in such efforts, I may convert whole Dirk's
dictionary to some graph (because it's interesting for me).

-- Martin

lua_dictionary.svg (33K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Michal Kottman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 28 April 2017 at 15:54, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> others can update/add content. Or do you prefer the GitHub PR approach?
>
> I can't speak for Dirk, but personally I'm just so used to gh-markdown
> now. We need a converter.
>
> (My apologies to Dirk for hijacking his thread)

The source is in Pandoc-markdown, and I can easily produce gh-markdown
from that if needed.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:35 AM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Michal Kottman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't speak for Dirk, but personally I'm just so used to gh-markdown
> now. We need a converter.

I don't know  if there's already one out there for GH. But you can
configure the Pandoc converter with custom writers for different
markup languages  using Lua.
<http://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#custom-writers>.

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Martin

On 04/28/2017 07:32 PM, Martin wrote:
> If anyone interested in such efforts, I may convert whole Dirk's
> dictionary to some graph (because it's interesting for me).

Well, I've drew dictionary graph anyway.

I'm providing link to both source yEd graph file and one of it's .svg
visualization.

https://gist.github.com/martin-eden/8b5d20fc445c637e4834450917789926

Hope it will help author spot places where too much or too few
links (or link goes to different logic layer).

--

There is a mess. I think it's because of

  * planar graph representation.

    Sadly yEd is unable to create 3D graphs.

  * lack of logic layers.

    Again, yEd is not good for representation of clustered graph.
    This may be partly mitigated by coloring nodes/edges.

  * graph is not a hypertext.

    It's convenient to read dozen of lines with six links but when
    this is represented as graph it clutters.

Anyway I hope someone catches idea of representation information
in visually linked format. For this purpose there should be another,
more simple graph but node annotations with examples are good anyway.

(I've tried this approach some time ago and stopped myself in
drawing by pen on paper. This is not considered modern in 2017
but it works best for me.)

(There are also some books based on hand-drawing approach. Most of
them are outstanding. I'd wish to mention Randall's Munroe "Thing
Explainer" here. (Also there was a nice book about Pascal programming,
forgot it's name.))

--

In process, I've read whole dictionary and spotted some broken places:

broken links to:
  floating-point (from ?)
  libraries (from "debug")
  declaration (from "initialize")

broken text:
  [=====]
  "%%  -- The way to represent a percent sign in a pattern.
  "prompt" text formatting

questionable formulation:

  * "a = b; func(1,2,4)  -- two statements, separated by a semicolon"

    I consider ";" as a null statement. From this point of view there
    are three statements.

  * "Visible. See scope"  and a link to both "visible" and "scope"
    from "shadow" definition.

-- Martin

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:11 AM, steve donovan [via Lua]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Likewise inspired, I've started the Lua Gentle Tutorial:
>
> https://github.com/stevedonovan/lua-gentle-intro/blob/master/readme.md

Steve, did you forget that you've already got a gentle introduction to
Lua at <https://stevedonovan.github.io/lua-cookbook/index.html>? Might
be good  to combine them.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Russell Haley
+1

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.
On 04/28/2017 06:54 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:
>
> https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

I prefer to represent such things in graph form. I'm using yEd graph
editor to tinker with mind maps. Also it allows to export graphics in
.svg format (see file attached) (but thus we lose ability to move nodes
by hand).

If anyone interested in such efforts, I may convert whole Dirk's
dictionary to some graph (because it's interesting for me).

-- Martin

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

steve donovan
On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 1:41 AM, Paul E. Merrell, J.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Steve, did you forget that you've already got a gentle introduction to
> Lua at <https://stevedonovan.github.io/lua-cookbook/index.html>? Might
> be good  to combine them.

Thanks Paul, I vaguely remembered - you're a much better librarian
than any one else of us.

That was a project with Alexander Gladysh.  It is time to combine
materials, and build lists of resources - and glossaries!

Because the more I try to teach, the more I realize that to learn
programmng, you need to learn the metalanguage, which is a specialized
dialect of English.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 1:41 AM, Paul E. Merrell, J.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Steve, did you forget that you've already got a gentle introduction to
>> Lua at <https://stevedonovan.github.io/lua-cookbook/index.html>? Might
>> be good  to combine them.
>
> Thanks Paul, I vaguely remembered - you're a much better librarian
> than any one else of us.
>
> That was a project with Alexander Gladysh.  It is time to combine
> materials, and build lists of resources - and glossaries!
>
> Because the more I try to teach, the more I realize that to learn
> programmng, you need to learn the metalanguage, which is a specialized
> dialect of English.

Oh, for the good old days when computer science was a tiny branch of
mathematics, with no vocabulary of its own, when computers had names
like "Automatic Computing Engine" and the leading journal in the field was
called "Mathematical Tables and Other Aids to Computation".

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That was a project with Alexander Gladysh.  It is time to combine
> materials, and build lists of resources - and glossaries!

I've got a fairly compact collection of Lua resource links largely
aimed at a beginner audience in the NoteCase Pro Help file. I updated
it with a couple of the links from this thread, then discovered some
file corruption that resulted in meandering links. I've exported it to
HTML and parked it in the meantime at
<https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/lua-resource-links>. But I
have some more link repair to do in that collection. I'll try to
finish that in the next few hours betwixt trying to figure out whether
a script problem is with my code or with NoteCase Pro's API.  I'm
betting that it's my code. :-)

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

Russell Haley
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:
>
>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

Really nice job. Added to favorites! Could you perhaps add some more
information to upvalue as I find it a very powerful feature? A
suggestion:

Upvalue
Access to value within a function to an item created outside of
function but adjacent in scope (and not global). Can be used to
encapsulate data, create singletons (I think?) and advanced reference
passing among other things.

I don't totally understand the feature yet (and am most likely wrong),
but that is the direction I would lean.

Russ

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
> I have put together:
>
>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html

You may want to add some css to that.

A random google search found this, which indeed makes it look much nicer:
        https://gist.github.com/killercup/5917178

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
>> I have put together:
>>
>>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html
>>
> Really nice job. Added to favorites! Could you perhaps add some more
> information to upvalue as I find it a very powerful feature? A
> suggestion:
>
> Upvalue
> Access to value within a function to an item created outside of
> function but adjacent in scope (and not global). Can be used to
> encapsulate data, create singletons (I think?) and advanced reference
> passing among other things.
>
> I don't totally understand the feature yet (and am most likely wrong),
> but that is the direction I would lean.
>
> Russ

I have expanded the Upvalue entry, thanks. The site also contains an
essay "upvalues.html" that I wrote two years ago which goes way beyond
glossary level.

-- Dirk

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3 Glossary

>> Inspired by Adel's original post on the thread "Beginner to Programming",
>> I have put together:
>>
>>      https://rawgit.com/dlaurie/lua-notes/master/glossary.html
>
> You may want to add some css to that.
>
> A random google search found this, which indeed makes it look much nicer:
>         https://gist.github.com/killercup/5917178

A good idea, which I have implemented. Thanks.

12