[ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-rc1.tar.gz

MD5 5d2c644796eb3bd3ca1c5d43d9891528  -
SHA1 fef32825392283c7561be61ae4c6af33ca7dacc1  -

This is a release candidate for the final release of Lua 5.3.0.

A few things have changed since beta that we'd like to test in the wild.
In particular, we made some changes in luaconf.h and in the Makefile
that we'd like to test. Please try compiling the current code in as many
platforms as possible. We expect the compilation will go smoothly as usual
but please report any warnings or other glitches.

We'd also like feedback on the documentation:
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/readme.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

Finally, for those of you into this, please test luac -l -l on your
scripts, just to make sure we haven't missed anything with the new
VM instructions etc.

The main change in Lua 5.3.0 is the introduction of integers. See also
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes

The complete diffs are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.3.0-rc0-rc1.txt

An updated test suite is available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-rc1-tests.tar.gz

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

aryajur
Hi,
      I was just comparing Lua 5.2 and 5.3 on their memory usage by executing:

> lua -e "print(collectgarbage 'count')"

Lua 5.2 shows a little more than 14K and Lua 5.3 shows more than 20K.

That is a huge increase. What is causing that increase?

Thanks,
Milind

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hartmut Henkel
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-rc1.tar.gz

> We'd also like feedback on the documentation:

> http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

Manual says (in firefox view) for
utf8.len (s [, i [, j]])
...start between positions i and @{j} (both inclusive).

the @{j} should be j.

In the string.pack (fmt, v1, v2, ...) description, the font for fmt, v1,
and v2 is not <code>. In string.unpack() it's ok.

Regards, Hartmut

Probably the new utf8 library and the new string.pack and unpack functions.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lua 5.2 shows a little more than 14K and Lua 5.3 shows more than 20K.
>
> That is a huge increase. What is causing that increase?

Probably the new utf8 library and the new string.pack and unpack functions.

If I do:

>lua -e "utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"

Would the utf8 library be unloaded, and I should see the unloaded memory usage?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Soni "They/Them" L.

On 16/12/14 11:53 PM, Milind Gupta wrote:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lua 5.2 shows a little more than 14K and Lua 5.3 shows more than 20K.
>
> That is a huge increase. What is causing that increase?

Probably the new utf8 library and the new string.pack and unpack functions.

If I do:

>lua -e "utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"

Would the utf8 library be unloaded, and I should see the unloaded memory usage?

package.loaded.utf8?
Disclaimer: these emails are public and can be accessed from <TODO: get a non-DHCP IP and put it here>. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT REPLY.

On 16/12/14 11:57 PM, Soni L. wrote:

On 16/12/14 11:53 PM, Milind Gupta wrote:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lua 5.2 shows a little more than 14K and Lua 5.3 shows more than 20K.
>
> That is a huge increase. What is causing that increase?

Probably the new utf8 library and the new string.pack and unpack functions.

If I do:

>lua -e "utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"

Would the utf8 library be unloaded, and I should see the unloaded memory usage?

package.loaded.utf8?
--
Disclaimer: these emails are public and can be accessed from <TODO: get a non-DHCP IP and put it here>. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT REPLY.
Oh, and as a bonus: I don't think C code gets unloaded like that.
Disclaimer: these emails are public and can be accessed from <TODO: get a non-DHCP IP and put it here>. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT REPLY.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

> If I do:
>
> >lua -e "utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"
>
> Would the utf8 library be unloaded, and I should see the unloaded memory
> usage?

You may need to unrequire utf8:

So this will probably work:
        lua -e "utf8=nil package.loaded.utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

ForthCAD
The prototype of the next definitions are no more documented in lua_conf.h:

        luai_writestring(s,l)
        luai_writeline()
        luai_writestringerror(s,p)

But they must be defined.

Charles

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> The prototype of the next definitions are no more documented in lua_conf.h:
>
> luai_writestring(s,l)
> luai_writeline()
> luai_writestringerror(s,p)
>
> But they must be defined.

They were moved to 'lauxlib.h', but you still can overwrite them
in luaconf.h.

(BTW, the correct names are 'luaconf.h', 'lua_writestring',
'lua_writeline', and 'lua_writestringerror'.)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

aryajur

You may need to unrequire utf8:

So this will probably work:
        lua -e "utf8=nil package.loaded.utf8=nil collectgarbage 'collect' print(collectgarbage 'count')"

Doing that just made a difference of 0.4KB. If I comment out the utf8 library in loaded libs in linit.c that makes a difference of 1.4KB. So it seems. In addition I also tried:

But that didn't make any difference.

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

ForthCAD

I have checked 100k Lua source and see a few errors (sometimes crash).

One subtle error :

* In Lua script:

        local cx = 3
        local x
        x = cx /2

* In C++, reading x

        // crash here, because now x is float (double)
        int x = (int)luaL_checkinteger(L, -1);

I don't know what is the best solution.
Actually I try to replace all '/' with '//' where I want integer division.

Charles

Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) is now available for testing at
[...]

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> I have checked 100k Lua source and see a few errors (sometimes crash).
>
> [...]
>
> I don't know what is the best solution.
> Actually I try to replace all '/' with '//' where I want integer division.

That certainly would help, but an essential point is to understand how
you *want* to round these values.

As this point has come up several times, I have a quick quiz for this
list. Without running the code, what are the results of the following
expressions in Lua 5.2?

  string.rep("a", 2.7)
  string.format("%d", 2.7)
  string.rep("a", 2.3)
  string.format("%d", 2.3)

On 17/12/14 03:34 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

>> I have checked 100k Lua source and see a few errors (sometimes crash).
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I don't know what is the best solution.
>> Actually I try to replace all '/' with '//' where I want integer division.
> That certainly would help, but an essential point is to understand how
> you *want* to round these values.
>
> As this point has come up several times, I have a quick quiz for this
> list. Without running the code, what are the results of the following
> expressions in Lua 5.2?
>
>    string.rep("a", 2.7)
>    string.format("%d", 2.7)
>    string.rep("a", 2.3)
>    string.format("%d", 2.3)
Undefined, Undefined, Undefined, Undefined, or with GCC, "aaa", "3",
"aa", "2" (pretty sure GCC rounds properly? I may be wrong)

--
Disclaimer: these emails are public and can be accessed from <TODO: get a non-DHCP IP and put it here>. If you do not agree with this, DO NOT REPLY.

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

ForthCAD

I prefer the version 5.3. The code is much cleaner with this distinction
between integers and real numbers.

About the quiz, in version 5.2, I believe that all values are considered
equal to 2.

Porting to version 5.3 is now complete for me. That works very well :)

Thanks !
Charles

> I have checked 100k Lua source and see a few errors (sometimes crash).
>
> [...]
>
> I don't know what is the best solution.
> Actually I try to replace all '/' with '//' where I want integer division.

That certainly would help, but an essential point is to understand how
you *want* to round these values.

As this point has come up several times, I have a quick quiz for this
list. Without running the code, what are the results of the following
expressions in Lua 5.2?

  string.rep("a", 2.7)
  string.format("%d", 2.7)
  string.rep("a", 2.3)
  string.format("%d", 2.3)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Daurnimator

On 17 December 2014 at 12:34, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a quick quiz for this
list. Without running the code, what are the results of the following
expressions in Lua 5.2?

  string.rep("a", 2.7)
  string.format("%d", 2.7)
  string.rep("a", 2.3)
  string.format("%d", 2.3)

IIRC, in practice, lua always rounds down. so:

aa
2
aa

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Thijs Schreijer

Tested building again on Win7SDK 32bit, Win7SDK 64bit, MinGW 32bit, TDM 32bit and TDM 64bit, as before. All warnings are now gone.

Thijs

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Thijs Schreijer

> Tested building again on Win7SDK 32bit, Win7SDK 64bit, MinGW 32bit, TDM
> 32bit and TDM 64bit, as before. All warnings are now gone.
>
> Thijs

Additionally, tested MinGW with MSYS (32bit), using the provided Lua make file, also works without warnings/issues.

Thijs

Full log below;

Microsoft Windows [versie 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

C:\Users\Thijs>set path=c:\mingw\msys\1.0\bin;%path%

C:\Users\Thijs>cd\temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1

C:\Temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1>make clean
cd src && make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
rm -f liblua.a lua luac lapi.o lcode.o lctype.o ldebug.o ldo.o ldump.o lfunc.o lgc.o llex.o lmem.o lobject.o lopcodes.o
lparser.o lstate.o lstring.o ltable.o ltm.o lundump.o lvm.o lzio.o lauxlib.o lbaselib.o lbitlib.o lcorolib.o ldblib.o li
olib.o lmathlib.o loslib.o lstrlib.o ltablib.o lutf8lib.o loadlib.o linit.o  lua.o luac.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'

C:\Temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1>make mingw
cd src && make mingw
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
make "LUA_A=lua53.dll" "LUA_T=lua.exe" \
        "AR=gcc -shared -o" "RANLIB=strip --strip-unneeded" \
        "SYSCFLAGS=-DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL" "SYSLIBS=" "SYSLDFLAGS=-s" lua.exe
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lua.o lua.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lapi.o lapi.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lcode.o lcode.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lctype.o lctype.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ldebug.o ldebug.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ldo.o ldo.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ldump.o ldump.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lfunc.o lfunc.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lgc.o lgc.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o llex.o llex.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lmem.o lmem.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lobject.o lobject.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lopcodes.o lopcodes.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lparser.o lparser.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lstate.o lstate.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lstring.o lstring.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ltable.o ltable.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ltm.o ltm.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lundump.o lundump.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lvm.o lvm.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lzio.o lzio.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lauxlib.o lauxlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lbaselib.o lbaselib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lbitlib.o lbitlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lcorolib.o lcorolib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ldblib.o ldblib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o liolib.o liolib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lmathlib.o lmathlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o loslib.o loslib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lstrlib.o lstrlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o ltablib.o ltablib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o lutf8lib.o lutf8lib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o loadlib.o loadlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2 -DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL    -c -o linit.o linit.c
gcc -shared -o lua53.dll lapi.o lcode.o lctype.o ldebug.o ldo.o ldump.o lfunc.o lgc.o llex.o lmem.o lobject.o lopcodes.o
 lparser.o lstate.o lstring.o ltable.o ltm.o lundump.o lvm.o lzio.o lauxlib.o lbaselib.o lbitlib.o lcorolib.o ldblib.o l
iolib.o lmathlib.o loslib.o lstrlib.o ltablib.o lutf8lib.o loadlib.o linit.o
strip --strip-unneeded lua53.dll
gcc -o lua.exe -s  lua.o lua53.dll -lm
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
make "LUAC_T=luac.exe" luac.exe
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
gcc -O2 -Wall -Wextra -DLUA_COMPAT_5_2     -c -o luac.o luac.c
ar rcu liblua.a lapi.o lcode.o lctype.o ldebug.o ldo.o ldump.o lfunc.o lgc.o llex.o lmem.o lobject.o lopcodes.o lparser.
o lstate.o lstring.o ltable.o ltm.o lundump.o lvm.o lzio.o lauxlib.o lbaselib.o lbitlib.o lcorolib.o ldblib.o liolib.o l
mathlib.o loslib.o lstrlib.o ltablib.o lutf8lib.o loadlib.o linit.o
ranlib liblua.a
gcc -o luac.exe   luac.o liblua.a -lm
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/src'

C:\Temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1>make install INSTALL_TOP=c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local TO_BIN="lua.exe luac.exe lua53.dll"
cd src && mkdir -p c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/bin c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/include c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/lib c
:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/man/man1 c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/share/lua/5.3 c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/lib/lua/5.3
cd src && install -p -m 0755 lua.exe luac.exe lua53.dll c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/bin
cd src && install -p -m 0644 lua.h luaconf.h lualib.h lauxlib.h lua.hpp c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/include
cd src && install -p -m 0644 liblua.a c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/lib
cd doc && install -p -m 0644 lua.1 luac.1 c:/temp/lua-5.3.0-rc1/local/man/man1

C:\Temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1>.\local\bin\lua

^C
C:\Temp\lua-5.3.0-rc1>

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> > Tested building again on Win7SDK 32bit, Win7SDK 64bit, MinGW 32bit, TDM
> > 32bit and TDM 64bit, as before. All warnings are now gone.
> >
> > Thijs
>
> Additionally, tested MinGW with MSYS (32bit), using the provided Lua make file, also works without warnings/issues.
>
> Thijs

Many thanks for the help!