[ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-rc0.tar.gz

MD5 4692ad494c1d597888c03c5d6f278c40  -
SHA1 5da073fe552a9f2e2da57be3cec32378a4c902e0  -

This is the first release candidate for the final release of Lua 5.3.0.

A few things have changed since beta that we'd like to test in the wild,
hence rc0 instead of rc1. In particular, we made some changes in luaconf.h
and in the Makefile that we'd like to test. Please try compiling the
current code in as many platforms as possible. We expect the compilation to
go smoothly as usual but please report any warnings or other glitches.

The main change in Lua 5.3.0 is the introduction of integers. See also
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/#changes

The complete diffs are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.3.0-beta-rc0.txt

An updated test suite is available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-tests.tar.gz

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
We'd also like feedback on the documentation:
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/readme.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists environment
variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
The only changes in the language from beta to final were these:

- integer division became floor division. (y//y == floor(x/y); like the
other arithmetic operators, if x and y are integers the operation is
performed on integers and the result is an integer; otherwise, the
operation is performed on floats and the result is a float.)

- new function string.packsize

- new option '=' in pack/unpack (default endianness)

- option 'c' in pack/unpack needs an explicit size

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Xavier Wang

The doc of LUA_OPBOR seems incorrect ;)

---
sent from my Nexus5

2014年12月12日 上午12:53于 "Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo" <[hidden email]>写道:
We'd also like feedback on the documentation:
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/readme.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists environment
variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> The doc of LUA_OPBOR seems incorrect ;)

Sure. Thanks,

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Rena
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists environment
> variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
>         http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index

I don't see environment variables listed. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

Sent from my Game Boy.

Try reloading the page.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Rena
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists environment
>> > variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
>> >         http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index
>> >

>> I don't see environment variables listed. Am I looking for the wrong thing?
>
> Try reloading the page.

Whoops, there they are.

Sent from my Game Boy.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Ulrich Schmidt
I recompile all lua module dlls right now and i see there are changes
needed in the module sources. NO WAY to simply reuse the 52-dlls.

Ulrich.

Am 11.12.2014 um 20:02 schrieb Milind Gupta:

> This is the 1st time I am trying Lua 5.3. I was able to build it
> smoothly using  mingw. One question I have is that do we have to
> rebuild all Lua 5.2 modules with the Lua 5.3  dll so that we can use
> them in Lua 5.3? I tried using some Lua 5.2 modules but it just makes
> Lua 5.3 crash. Isn't there a way to reuse the previously built modules?
>
> Thanks,
> Milind
>

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
>
>     We'd also like feedback on the documentation:
>     http://www.lua.org/work/doc/readme.html
>     http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html
>     http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html
>
>     In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists
>     environment
>     variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
>     http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Paul K-2
> do we have to rebuild all Lua 5.2 modules with the Lua 5.3  dll so that we can use them in Lua 5.3?

I think the answer is "yes". I successfully compiled luasocket with
Lua 5.3 without any code changes to support debugging in ZeroBrane
Studio on Windows/OSX/Linux, but it did require adding
-DLUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS. I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Paul.

Am 11.12.2014 um 20:19 schrieb Paul K:
>> do we have to rebuild all Lua 5.2 modules with the Lua 5.3  dll so that we can use them in Lua 5.3?
> I think the answer is "yes". I successfully compiled luasocket with
> Lua 5.3 without any code changes to support debugging in ZeroBrane
> Studio on Windows/OSX/Linux, but it did require adding
> -DLUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS. I haven't noticed any problems yet.
>
> Paul.

You compiled lsf and lpeg too?

Thanks.
Ulrich.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

> One question I have is that do we have to rebuild all Lua 5.2
> modules with the Lua 5.3  dll so that we can use them in Lua 5.3?

Yes:

     Different versions are really different. The API is likely to be a
     little different (but with compatibility switches), but there is no ABI
     compatibility: applications that embed Lua and C libraries for Lua must
     be recompiled.
      http://www.lua.org/versions.html#numbering

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Paul K-2
Hi Ulrich,

> You compiled lsf and lpeg too?

I tried to compile lpeg, but having LUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS didn't help
much as there are still references to lua_getfenv, lua_setfenv and
other similar methods.

lfs has been recently updated to support 5.3 and it loaded without
issues after compiling with the following command:

Paul.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Ulrich Schmidt
Thank you.

defining..
----8X----------------------------------
#define LUA_COMPAT_5_1
#define LUA_COMPAT_5_2
----8X----------------------------------
... in luaconf.h seems to be a good idea. and solves most of the
problems for lfs, lanes, lsqlite, ...

lua_dump need some changes in the sources and also lua_getfenv, you
mentioned.

lpeg seems to need a update.

Ulrich.

Am 11.12.2014 um 21:15 schrieb Paul K:

> Hi Ulrich,
>
>> You compiled lsf and lpeg too?
> I tried to compile lpeg, but having LUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS didn't help
> much as there are still references to lua_getfenv, lua_setfenv and
> other similar methods.
>
> lfs has been recently updated to support 5.3 and it loaded without
> issues after compiling with the following command:
>
>> gcc -O2 -shared -s -I %LUA_DIR%\src -L %LUA_DIR%\src -o lfs.dll lfs.c -llua53
> Paul.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Ryan
Great job guys!

The main page (http://lua.org) still needs to be updated, as it still says that beta was just released.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Ulrich Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

François Perrad

> Thank you.
>
> defining..
> ----8X----------------------------------
> #define LUA_COMPAT_5_1
> #define LUA_COMPAT_5_2
> ----8X----------------------------------
> ... in luaconf.h seems to be a good idea. and solves most of the problems
> for lfs, lanes, lsqlite, ...
>
> lua_dump need some changes in the sources and also lua_getfenv, you
> mentioned.
>
> lpeg seems to need a update.

This small patch
https://github.com/fperrad/br/blob/lua/package/lpeg/lpeg-01-fix-compat-lua-5.3.patch
does the job.

François

> Ulrich.
>
> Am 11.12.2014 um 21:15 schrieb Paul K:
>
>> Hi Ulrich,
>>
>>> You compiled lsf and lpeg too?
>>
>> I tried to compile lpeg, but having LUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS didn't help
>> much as there are still references to lua_getfenv, lua_setfenv and
>> other similar methods.
>>
>> lfs has been recently updated to support 5.3 and it loaded without
>> issues after compiling with the following command:
>>
>>> gcc -O2 -shared -s -I %LUA_DIR%\src -L %LUA_DIR%\src -o lfs.dll lfs.c
>>> -llua53
>>
>> Paul.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

> The main page (http://lua.org) still needs to be updated, as it still says
> that beta was just released.

Fixed, thanks. You may have to reload the page to see the change.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Tim Hill

On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:

We'd also like feedback on the documentation:
http://www.lua.org/work/doc/readme.html
http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html
http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

In particular, note that the index in the contents now lists environment
variables, C entry points to the standard library, and constants.
http://www.lua.org/work/doc/contents.html#index

Regarding ipairs() docs (6.1 Basic Functions). The docs state:

“… will iterate over the pairs (1,t[1]), (2,t[2]), ..., up to the first integer key absent from the table.”

Would this be better as:

“… will iterate over the pairs (1,t[1]), (2,t[2]), ..., up to the first integer key which has a value of nil.” ?

Which seems clearer to me both for the raw and __index()  metamethod cases.

—Tim

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) now available

Hartmut Henkel
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.3.0 (rc0) is now available for testing at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.3.0-rc0.tar.gz

for consistency it would be fine to have at the begin of luaconf.h

#ifndef luaconf_h
#define luaconf_h

instead of

#ifndef lconfig_h
#define lconfig_h

This is the only header file where these defines are not named after the
file name, else a quite helpful convention, particularly if there are
more header files around.

Regards, Hartmut

12