[ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.3.0 has been frozen and is now available at
        http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.0.tar.gz

MD5 a1b0a7e92d0c85bbff7a8d27bf29f8af  -
SHA1 1c46d1c78c44039939e820126b86a6ae12dadfba  -

Lua 5.3 is now the current version of Lua.

The main change in Lua 5.3 is the introduction of integers.
Other changes are listed in
        http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html#changes

For installation and building instructions, see
        http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html

The reference manual is available at
        http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/

Minor updates to the manual will be made as needed.

A test suite is available at
        http://www.lua.org/tests/

We thank everyone for their feedback during the development of Lua 5.3.
We look forward to working on Lua 5.4!

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Thijs Schreijer

Congratulations on the release! And a big thank you for bringing us Lua!

Thijs

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Daurnimator
On 12 January 2015 at 10:24, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Thank-you for the hard work you and Roberto put in!

A few misc release-y things:
  - Please make the source available from: http://www.lua.org/source/5.3
  - Is there a diff from the previous rc available online?

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Andrew Starks

Cheers!

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

>   - Is there a diff from the previous rc available online?

This final release is exactly the previous rc (rc4). Sugestions and
corrections about rc4 (some details in the manual) will go the next
release and (earlier) to the online manual.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Ashwin Hirschi

> Lua 5.3 is now the current version of Lua.

That makes it official, the new year is off to a great start [;-)].

Many thanks for all the excellent work!

Ashwin.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Thank you ever so much.

Best regards,

Paul

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

ForthCAD
Thanks for that nice new Lua version !

Looking forward to the next edition of the "Lua Programming" book,
Charles

[..]
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

>   - Please make the source available from: http://www.lua.org/source/5.3

Sure. But it may take a while because we'll try to improve the listing
following this thread:

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

> Lua 5.3.0 has been frozen and is now available at
>         http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.0.tar.gz

The "i" read format is documented but not implemented.
There is no `case 'i':` in liolib.c.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

> > Lua 5.3.0 has been frozen and is now available at
> >         http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.0.tar.gz
>
> The "i" read format is documented but not implemented.
> There is no `case 'i':` in liolib.c.

The manual is wrong. This option has been removed and option 'n' changed
to read both integers and floats (as documented). Thanks for the report.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Thomas Jericke
On 01/12/2015 04:24 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.3.0 has been frozen and is now available at
> http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.0.tar.gz
>
> MD5 a1b0a7e92d0c85bbff7a8d27bf29f8af  -
> SHA1 1c46d1c78c44039939e820126b86a6ae12dadfba  -
>
> Lua 5.3 is now the current version of Lua.
>
> The main change in Lua 5.3 is the introduction of integers.
> Other changes are listed in
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html#changes
>
> For installation and building instructions, see
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html
>
> The reference manual is available at
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/
>
> Minor updates to the manual will be made as needed.
>
> A test suite is available at
> http://www.lua.org/tests/
>
> We thank everyone for their feedback during the development of Lua 5.3.
> We look forward to working on Lua 5.4!
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Thank you very much for your work!

It's a pitty that I won't have the time to immigrate to Lua 5.3 at work.
I doubt to have time to even start immigrating this year :-(
I might should try find an interesting project at home.
Thomas

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Lorenzo Donati-3

On 12/01/2015 16:24, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Lua 5.3.0 has been frozen and is now available at
> http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.0.tar.gz
>
> MD5 a1b0a7e92d0c85bbff7a8d27bf29f8af  -
> SHA1 1c46d1c78c44039939e820126b86a6ae12dadfba  -
>
> Lua 5.3 is now the current version of Lua.
>
> The main change in Lua 5.3 is the introduction of integers.
> Other changes are listed in
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html#changes
>
> For installation and building instructions, see
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html
>
> The reference manual is available at
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/
>
> Minor updates to the manual will be made as needed.
>
> A test suite is available at
> http://www.lua.org/tests/
>
> We thank everyone for their feedback during the development of Lua 5.3.
> We look forward to working on Lua 5.4!
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

Hooray! :-) And thanks for your efforts!

Just an aside: I moved a small project of mine to 5.3 (a Lua template
engine and application, based on an enhanced version of Rici Lake's
preprocessor, that I use to build more complex LaTeX documents).

It worked for 5.2 and almost did for 5.3. The only things I had to
change were a couple of function names (table.unpack instead of bare
unpack and load instead of loadstring - yes I used Lua 5.2 in compat
mode for 5.1). The only major "problem" was luafilesystem module. The
version I had didn't compile against Lua 5.3 API. I just had to download
the latest master branch from GitHub and use that. Almost a breeze.
Total time needed: about 20 minutes. Not heavily tested but, hey!, I
feared much more problems (since most of my "private" libraries were
designed for 5.1 and never fully tested for 5.2).

Cheers!

-- Lorenzo

P.s.: Using Win7-64bit with 32bit executables (TDM-GCC 4.9.2 32bit).

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Aapo Talvensaari
One correction to docs:

utf8.len docs say:

"If it finds any invalid byte sequence, returns a false value plus the position of the first invalid byte."

It actually seems to return nil (which is of course evaluated as false when not compared equality to false).

Regards
Aapo

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

> One correction to docs:
>
> utf8.len docs say:
>
> "If it finds any invalid byte sequence, returns a false value plus the
> position of the first invalid byte."
>
> It actually seems to return nil (which is of course evaluated as false when
> not compared equality to false).

I.e. nil is "a false value" in just about every context, e.g. §3.4.5
"all logical operators consider both false and nil as false".

The manual also sometimes states "returns false", see e.g. `pcall`.
I'm willing to believe that the phrase "a false value" was in this case
chosen with hair-splitting exactness.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> The manual also sometimes states "returns false", see e.g. `pcall`.
> I'm willing to believe that the phrase "a false value" was in this case
> chosen with hair-splitting exactness.

Yes. "False value" means "a value that behaves as false in boolean
contexts." (or simply "nil or false"). The idea was to avoid being
specific about the difference "nil" x "false".  (Sometimes I wonder
whether it would be better if the "nil-message" paradigm was
"false-message" instead...)

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Fidelis Assis-2
> One correction to docs:
>
> utf8.len docs say:
>
> "If it finds any invalid byte sequence, returns a false value plus the
> position of the first invalid byte."
>
> It actually seems to return nil (which is of course evaluated as false when
> not compared equality to false).

I.e. nil is "a false value" in just about every context, e.g. §3.4.5
"all logical operators consider both false and nil as false".

The manual also sometimes states "returns false",

I understand the intended meaning of "return a false value" in the docs, but I also understand Aapo Talvensaari's comment because "false value" name it as a value (and Lua has a value for "false"), but nil, despite a value in Lua, means "Not a Value", or none of the possible values. In a closed context, which is mostly the case, nil may be interpreted as "false", that is, negation by failure.

Fidelis Assis

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Jorge Visca
On 14/01/15 10:22, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> (Sometimes I wonder whether it would be better if the "nil-message"
> paradigm was "false-message" instead...)

I don't believe that. False is  a value that is a perfectly valid return
from a function. Nil is the absence of value, so returning nil means the
function could not produce a result. In other words, I need to
distinguish between a functio returning the value false, and a function
unable to return a value.

Now the question is, why i'm saying this to Roberto? :D

Jorge

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.3.0 (final) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On 14/01/15 10:22, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> >(Sometimes I wonder whether it would be better if the
> >"nil-message" paradigm was "false-message" instead...)
>
> I don't believe that. False is  a value that is a perfectly valid
> return from a function. Nil is the absence of value, so returning
> nil means the function could not produce a result. In other words, I
> need to distinguish between a functio returning the value false, and
> a function unable to return a value.

The problem is the message after the nil. How can you have a second
result when you don't have a first one? (This is strongly related
to the problem of holes in lists.)

If the function was just returning nothing, that would be ok. But
in fact it is returning an error indicator followed by the error
message. To mix an error indicator with an absent value is what bothers
me.

Moreover, some functions can return 'nil' as a "perfectly valid return"
too. (That is why 'pcall' has an explicit first boolean result.) On the
other hand, if you go through the libraries, you will see that most
(all?) functions that return nil-message return only a very specific
type as a correct result, so they cannot return 'false'. Actually, when
we use the common idiom 'assert(foo(...))' to change an error indicator
to an error, we are already assuming that the function cannot return
false.

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14/01/15 10:22, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> >(Sometimes I wonder whether it would be better if the
> >"nil-message" paradigm was "false-message" instead...)
>
> I don't believe that. False is  a value that is a perfectly valid
> return from a function. Nil is the absence of value, so returning
> nil means the function could not produce a result. In other words, I
> need to distinguish between a functio returning the value false, and
> a function unable to return a value.

The problem is the message after the nil. How can you have a second
result when you don't have a first one? (This is strongly related
to the problem of holes in lists.)

If the function was just returning nothing, that would be ok. But
in fact it is returning an error indicator followed by the error
message. To mix an error indicator with an absent value is what bothers
me.

Moreover, some functions can return 'nil' as a "perfectly valid return"
too. (That is why 'pcall' has an explicit first boolean result.) On the
other hand, if you go through the libraries, you will see that most
(all?) functions that return nil-message return only a very specific
type as a correct result, so they cannot return 'false'. Actually, when
we use the common idiom 'assert(foo(...))' to change an error indicator
to an error, we are already assuming that the function cannot return
false.

-- Roberto

This is exactly why I always error. An error is completely unambiguous and the user can easily decide where (if) they want to handle it. I use errors for timeouts or for any reply other reply that isn't the requested result.

Since I have done this, the amount of fat in my code has decreased significantly.

-Andrew
123