[ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) is now available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.2.4-rc1.tar.gz

MD5 913fdb32207046b273fdb17aad70be13  -
SHA1 ef15259421197e3d85b7d6e4871b8c26fd82c1cf  -

Lua 5.2.4 fixes all bugs listed in http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.2.3 .

Like all minor releases, this is strictly a bug-fix release;
no new features or improvements have been added.

The complete diffs from Lua 5.2.3 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.2.3-5.2.4.txt
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.2.3-5.2.4.html

The diffs in html is experimental, in case someone finds it useful.

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.2 till now.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

Chris Emerson
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:38:50PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> The diffs in html is experimental, in case someone finds it useful.

I think (given they're for human readers) it would be more useful if they
were in unified diff format to give a bit of context for the changes.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:38:50PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> The diffs in html is experimental, in case someone finds it useful.
>
> I think (given they're for human readers) it would be more useful if they
> were in unified diff format to give a bit of context for the changes.

I quite enjoyed seeing them in technicolor and nicely spaced.
Just the diffs themselves are enough to tell me which pairs of
files (of course I never delete old Lua versions!) I should view
with `gvimdiff -R`.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

Daurnimator

Any chance you could use unified diff format instead? (diff -u),
IMO it's much easier to read.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Any chance you could use unified diff format instead? (diff -u),
> IMO it's much easier to read.

Here it is, if you must:
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.2.3-5.2.4.html

But I prefer the simple format. It's less clutter.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 08:43:35AM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > Any chance you could use unified diff format instead? (diff -u),
> > IMO it's much easier to read.
>
> Here it is, if you must:
> http://www.lua.org/work/diffu-lua-5.2.3-5.2.4.html

Thank you!  That does seem nicer (to me).

> But I prefer the simple format. It's less clutter.
> http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.2.3-5.2.4.html

It's obviously subjective!  I find a change like:

  116a122
  >   checkstack(L, L1, 3);

doesn't help (me) all that much, though with a few lines either side I can
often get a better idea.  :-)

Thanks,

Chris

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

If there is no feedback about this rc1, we'll freeze it by Friday,
and Lua 5.2.4 will become the current release of Lua 5.2.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

Ashwin Hirschi

> If there is no feedback about this rc1, we'll freeze it by Friday,
> and Lua 5.2.4 will become the current release of Lua 5.2.

We've just upgraded to this latest version here at Reflexis.

Though it's early days, I haven't seen any problems.

Things continue to run smoothly, as expected [;-)].

Ashwin.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.4 (rc1) now available

One issue: since this is a final version, published after the next version
is already official, simply `make installl` will install the files over those
of Lua 5.3. Another makefile target would be helpful, e.g. `make install5.2`
or `make install-previous`, taking into account the discussion in the recent
thread on standardizing Lua names.