[ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz

MD5 18ff69fe83563b3d4f0ff19777f96375  -
SHA1 29e936b4a0f434a1c491758d61ab2bceb4271ab4  -

Lua 5.1.5 fixes all known bugs in Lua 5.1.4. Like all minor releases,
this is strictly a bug-fix release; no new features or improvements
have been added, except for an updated reference manual.

The complete diffs from 5.1.4 to 5.1.5 are available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.1.4-5.1.5.txt

This release candidate will be the final version of Lua 5.1.5 if
no glitches are found in the next 10 days or so.

We thank everyone for their feedback on Lua 5.1.

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

martinwguy
On 3 February 2012 13:43, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
>        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
>
> Lua 5.1.5 fixes all known bugs in Lua 5.1.4.

> The complete diffs from 5.1.4 to 5.1.5 are available at
>        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.1.4-5.1.5.txt

Many thanks.
Would I be right in thinking there are no bug fixes other than the
ones listed for Lua-5.1.4 at
http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.1.4
? Just to save my lazy self from having to diff the diffs...

Cheers

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Rena
On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 03:46, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 February 2012 13:43, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
>>        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> Lua 5.1.5 fixes all known bugs in Lua 5.1.4.
>
>> The complete diffs from 5.1.4 to 5.1.5 are available at
>>        http://www.lua.org/work/diffs-lua-5.1.4-5.1.5.txt
>
> Many thanks.
> Would I be right in thinking there are no bug fixes other than the
> ones listed for Lua-5.1.4 at
> http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.1.4
> ? Just to save my lazy self from having to diff the diffs...
>
> Cheers

Were there any other known bugs?

Sent from my toaster.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

> Would I be right in thinking there are no bug fixes other than the
> ones listed for Lua-5.1.4 at http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.1.4

Yes.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

We got no feedback on Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) which has available at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
for a week now.

I guess this means that we can freeze it?
Lua 5.1.5 is probably going to be the last release of Lua 5.1...

All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

David Manura
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We got no feedback on Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) [...]
> I guess this means that we can freeze it?

Hold on :)

lua-5.1.5$ grep -re 5.1.4 .
./etc/lua.pc:R= 5.1.4
./Makefile:R= 5.1.4

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Richter, Jörg
>Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz

debug.traceback(thread,level) still doesn’t work as documented:

local c = coroutine.create( function() coroutine.yield() end )
coroutine.resume(c)
print( debug.traceback(c,1) )

Output:
-----
1
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'yield'
        a.lua:1: in function <a.lua:1>
-----

Expected:
-----
stack traceback:
        a.lua:1: in function <a.lua:1>
-----

   Jörg

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> >Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
> > http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
>
> debug.traceback(thread,level) still doesn’t work as documented:

My documentation reads like this:

  debug.traceback ([thread,] [message [, level]])

which means that you cannot give a level without a message.

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Richter, Jörg
> My documentation reads like this:
>
>  debug.traceback ([thread,] [message [, level]])
>
> which means that you cannot give a level without a message.
>
> -- Roberto

My bad. I missremembered my testcase:

-----
local c = coroutine.create( function() coroutine.yield() end )
coroutine.resume(c)
print( debug.traceback(c,nil,1) )
-----

Output:
-----
nil
-----

Expected:
-----
stack traceback:
        a.lua:1: in function <a.lua:1>
-----

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> My bad. I missremembered my testcase:
>
> -----
> local c = coroutine.create( function() coroutine.yield() end )
> coroutine.resume(c)
> print( debug.traceback(c,nil,1) )
> -----
>
> Output:
> -----
> nil
> -----
>
> Expected:
> -----
> stack traceback:
>         a.lua:1: in function <a.lua:1>
> -----

The manual does not say anything about "message" not being a string.

RE: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Richter, Jörg
> The manual does not say anything about "message" not being a string.

The manual does not say anything about the result being nil.

I might be wrong, but my interpretation of "optional" parameter is that it can be nil.

   Jörg

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Lorenzo Donati-3
On 10/02/2012 2.04, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> We got no feedback on Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) which has available at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
> for a week now.
>
> I guess this means that we can freeze it?
> Lua 5.1.5 is probably going to be the last release of Lua 5.1...
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.
> --lhf

- Compiling with tdm-mingw [GCC (tdm-1) 4.5.2] on Windows XP SP2 (32
bit) was flawless with "make mingw".

- Running the interpreter is ok.

I hoped that the 5.2 -E interpreter option would be backported to 5.1.5.
Any chance of getting that?

Thanks.

-- Lorenzo

Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available

Patrick Rapin
> I hoped that the 5.2 -E interpreter option would be backported to 5.1.5. Any
> chance of getting that?

Most certainly none.
Lua releases (with only the third number incremented) are strictly
only bug fixes, there are never new features.
If you want -E on 5.1, you can backport it yourself for your usage.
But asking for this official change is utopia...

On 11/02/2012 19.45, Patrick Rapin wrote:

>> I hoped that the 5.2 -E interpreter option would be backported to 5.1.5. Any
>> chance of getting that?
>
> Most certainly none.
> Lua releases (with only the third number incremented) are strictly
> only bug fixes, there are never new features.
> If you want -E on 5.1, you can backport it yourself for your usage.
> But asking for this official change is utopia...

I thought that minimal additions were allowed if they didn't impact ABI
compatibility.

Thanks you very much for the clarification.

Cheers!
-- Lorenzo

building on MinGW (Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available)

David Heiko Kolf
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz

When changing a few files on Windows (MinGW) and re-running make, the
following rule causes an error:

> $(LUA_A): $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
> $(AR) $@ $?
> $(RANLIB) $@

"$?" gives only the recently changed files but MinGW needs all files
("$^") to build the DLL. This will cause a lot of "undefined reference
to..." errors.

I currently don't have my GNU/Linux machine at hand so I cannot test
whether "$^" would cause any problems there. (Though I doubt it).

(I think this problem was already described by others, but I didn't find
the threads now.)

-- David Kolf

PS: For reference:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Automatic-Variables.html>

Re: building on MinGW (Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available)

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> When changing a few files on Windows (MinGW) and re-running make, the
> following rule causes an error:
>
> >$(LUA_A): $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
> > $(AR) $@ $?
> > $(RANLIB) $@
>
> "$?" gives only the recently changed files but MinGW needs all files
> ("$^") to build the DLL. This will cause a lot of "undefined reference
> to..." errors.
>
> (I think this problem was already described by others, but I didn't find
> the threads now.)

Yes, see http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2012-01/msg00582.html

So, is removing the DLL before compiling the right solution?

Re: building on MinGW (Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available)

Philipp Janda
On 12.02.2012 23:42, David Kolf wrote:

> Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) is now available at
>> http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1.5-rc1.tar.gz
>
> When changing a few files on Windows (MinGW) and re-running make, the
> following rule causes an error:
>
>> $(LUA_A): $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
>> $(AR) $@ $?
>> $(RANLIB) $@
>
> "$?" gives only the recently changed files but MinGW needs all files
> ("$^") to build the DLL. This will cause a lot of "undefined reference
> to..." errors.
>
> I currently don't have my GNU/Linux machine at hand so I cannot test
> whether "$^" would cause any problems there. (Though I doubt it).

"$^" is a (GNU?) extension (so it probably will work on any OS where GNU
make is available). POSIX make[1] only knows @%?<* as internal macros,
and "$<" fits best. I think
$(AR) $@ $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
should work in the default case and for MinGW as well.

> (I think this problem was already described by others, but I didn't find
> the threads now.)
>
> -- David Kolf

Philipp

   [1]: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/make.html

Re: building on MinGW (Re: [ANN] Lua 5.1.5 (rc1) now available)

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I think
> $(AR) $@ $(CORE_O) $(LIB_O)
> should work in the default case and for MinGW as well.

That's the fix we added to Lua 5.1.5 (rc2).