[ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

leaf corcoran
Hello,

Yesterday I released a new version of my Lua powered web framework,
Lapis. This marks version 1.0.0, I'm pretty excited about how far it's
come.

http://leafo.net/lapis

The biggest feature of this new release is a proper Lua API. If
MoonScript isn't your thing you can now write entire applications
without touching a line of it. You can find the entire changelog here:
http://leafo.net/lapis/changelog.html

I've completely overhauled the reference manual to have both
MoonScript and Lua examples inline. There's a brand new Lua getting
started guide here:
http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/lua_getting_started.html It should be
easier than ever for new users to start building websites.

The Lua support takes advantage of a new embedded Lua template
compiler I released a couple months ago:
https://github.com/leafo/etlua

The project is about 2 years old since the first commit. I've been
running two sites in production on it for over a year: http://itch.io
and http://rocks.moonscript.org The framework itself is backed by
broad range of tests. The site I build alongside the framework,
itch.io, is over 45k lines of code and organization has not been an
issue as the site expands.

Maintaining the sites has been simple and reliable, performance and
memory is great for the small machines I run the sites on. Lapis is
ready for others to build production grade web applications. It comes
with very mature documentation: http://leafo.net/lapis/reference.html
and support for building robust testing suites:
http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/testing.html along with an easy way
to define deployment configurations:
http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/configuration.html

You can also find Lapis on TechEmpower Web Framework Benchmarks:
http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/

Thanks for checking it out!

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM, leaf corcoran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The biggest feature of this new release is a proper Lua API. If
> MoonScript isn't your thing you can now write entire applications
> without touching a line of it.

that's great news!  i guess i'm not the only one here that really love
Lua and really don't care about MoonScript.  :-)

also seems the OOP style is less obtrusive, or am i getting more tolerant?

Javier

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Pierre-Yves Gérardy
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM, leaf corcoran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The biggest feature of this new release is a proper Lua API. If
>> MoonScript isn't your thing you can now write entire applications
>> without touching a line of it.
>
> [...] also seems the OOP style is less obtrusive, or am i getting more tolerant?

The MoonScript API stil relies on its OO features.

    lapis = require "lapis"

    class extends lapis.Application
      "/": =>
        "Hello world!"

The "proper Lua API" is independant and idiomatic.

    local lapis = require "lapis"
    local app = lapis.Application()

    app:match("/", function(self)
      return "Hello world!"
    end)

    return app

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Benjamin von Ardenne
Great to see, that I don't have to depend on Moonscript anymore. Though Moonscript looks nice, I am convinced that lua is enough for good web development and with the new API you have proved that.
I will try to port an orbit project of mine to lapis and see how it performs.
Thanks for your effort, keep up the good work.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:55 PM, leaf corcoran <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sebastian Moreno
Thanks Leaf,

The idiomatic Lua API it's a great feature!

~kernelp4nic

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Benjamin von Ardenne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Demelier
Le 17/06/2014 22:55, leaf corcoran a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I released a new version of my Lua powered web framework,
> Lapis. This marks version 1.0.0, I'm pretty excited about how far it's
> come.
>
> http://leafo.net/lapis
>
> The biggest feature of this new release is a proper Lua API. If
> MoonScript isn't your thing you can now write entire applications
> without touching a line of it. You can find the entire changelog here:
> http://leafo.net/lapis/changelog.html
>
> I've completely overhauled the reference manual to have both
> MoonScript and Lua examples inline. There's a brand new Lua getting
> started guide here:
> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/lua_getting_started.html It should be
> easier than ever for new users to start building websites.
>
> The Lua support takes advantage of a new embedded Lua template
> compiler I released a couple months ago:
> https://github.com/leafo/etlua
>
> The project is about 2 years old since the first commit. I've been
> running two sites in production on it for over a year: http://itch.io
> and http://rocks.moonscript.org The framework itself is backed by
> broad range of tests. The site I build alongside the framework,
> itch.io, is over 45k lines of code and organization has not been an
> issue as the site expands.
>
> Maintaining the sites has been simple and reliable, performance and
> memory is great for the small machines I run the sites on. Lapis is
> ready for others to build production grade web applications. It comes
> with very mature documentation: http://leafo.net/lapis/reference.html
> and support for building robust testing suites:
> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/testing.html along with an easy way
> to define deployment configurations:
> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/configuration.html
>
> You can also find Lapis on TechEmpower Web Framework Benchmarks:
> http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/
>
> Thanks for checking it out!

Hi,

I always wanted a Lua web framework. This one looks very great! However
it seems that it is a *requirement* to have nginx, isn't it? I don't
plan to replace my lighttpd so is it possible in the future to create an
application without nginx at all?

Regards,
David.

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Pierre-Yves Gérardy
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM, David Demelier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yesterday I released a new version of my Lua powered web framework,
>> Lapis. This marks version 1.0.0, I'm pretty excited about how far it's
>> come.
>
> Hi,
>
> I always wanted a Lua web framework. This one looks very great! However it
> seems that it is a *requirement* to have nginx, isn't it? I don't plan to
> replace my lighttpd so is it possible in the future to create an application
> without nginx at all?

Provided Lapis is built on top of OpenResty, which is a large
framework itself built on top of Nginx, it seems unlikely, unless you
port the OpenResty API to lighty.

I don't know if it is possible, and if it is it will be non-trivial to do.

Why don't you want to switch? AFAIK, they are both in the same ball
park regarding performance and memory usage.

—Pierre-Yves

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

leaf corcoran
The Lapis API completely abstracts the Nginx API so for most
applications you won't write any code that depends on the Nginx
module. Sadly I only support Nginx as a backend right now. I'm open to
trying out different things though. I actually originally had support
for Xavante but that's long removed.

Nginx is pretty good at hosting Lua applications though, in your case
I would suggest using lighttpd to reverse proxy to an nginx process
running the Lua app.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM, David Demelier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 17/06/2014 22:55, leaf corcoran a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yesterday I released a new version of my Lua powered web framework,
>> Lapis. This marks version 1.0.0, I'm pretty excited about how far it's
>> come.
>>
>> http://leafo.net/lapis
>>
>> The biggest feature of this new release is a proper Lua API. If
>> MoonScript isn't your thing you can now write entire applications
>> without touching a line of it. You can find the entire changelog here:
>> http://leafo.net/lapis/changelog.html
>>
>> I've completely overhauled the reference manual to have both
>> MoonScript and Lua examples inline. There's a brand new Lua getting
>> started guide here:
>> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/lua_getting_started.html It should be
>> easier than ever for new users to start building websites.
>>
>> The Lua support takes advantage of a new embedded Lua template
>> compiler I released a couple months ago:
>> https://github.com/leafo/etlua
>>
>> The project is about 2 years old since the first commit. I've been
>> running two sites in production on it for over a year: http://itch.io
>> and http://rocks.moonscript.org The framework itself is backed by
>> broad range of tests. The site I build alongside the framework,
>> itch.io, is over 45k lines of code and organization has not been an
>> issue as the site expands.
>>
>> Maintaining the sites has been simple and reliable, performance and
>> memory is great for the small machines I run the sites on. Lapis is
>> ready for others to build production grade web applications. It comes
>> with very mature documentation: http://leafo.net/lapis/reference.html
>> and support for building robust testing suites:
>> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/testing.html along with an easy way
>> to define deployment configurations:
>> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/configuration.html
>>
>> You can also find Lapis on TechEmpower Web Framework Benchmarks:
>> http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/
>>
>> Thanks for checking it out!
>>

> Hi,
>
> I always wanted a Lua web framework. This one looks very great! However it
> seems that it is a *requirement* to have nginx, isn't it? I don't plan to
> replace my lighttpd so is it possible in the future to create an application
> without nginx at all?
>
> Regards,
> David.

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Björn Kalkbrenner
Hi,

Leaf, as mentioned some month ago - great work.

However, i am also not happy about the openresty dependency.
I read "nginx" on the list, i think it will be interesting to go one step further and talk about fastcgi.

Yes i know that lapis is using the openresty/nginx modules and that this is a great performance.

But there are many users who doesn't care as much about performance and just want to use such great stuff.

Maybe i'll try to take a look at lapis within the next weeks in my holiday for some tests if something like lapis on fastcgi will be possible.

Bye
Björn

> [...]
>>> with very mature documentation: http://leafo.net/lapis/reference.html
>>> and support for building robust testing suites:
>>> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/testing.html along with an easy way
>>> to define deployment configurations:
>>> http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/configuration.html
>>>
>>> You can also find Lapis on TechEmpower Web Framework Benchmarks:
>>> http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/
>>>
>>> Thanks for checking it out!
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I always wanted a Lua web framework. This one looks very great! However it
>> seems that it is a *requirement* to have nginx, isn't it? I don't plan to
>> replace my lighttpd so is it possible in the future to create an application
>> without nginx at all?
>>
>> Regards,
>> David.

Re: [ANN] Lapis 1.0.0 - Lua web framework

Paul K-2
> Yesterday I released a new version of my Lua powered web framework,
> Lapis. This marks version 1.0.0, I'm pretty excited about how far it's
> come.

Congratulations on the release!

> There's a brand new Lua getting started guide here: http://leafo.net/lapis/reference/lua_getting_started.html It should be easier than ever for new users to start building websites

For those interested in debugging Lapis applications, I posted
instructions on how to do it with ZeroBrane Studio:
http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane/lapis-debugging-with-zerobrane-studio
(thanks to Leaf for helping to make it work). This debugging support
is experimental, so please let me know if you run into any issues with
it.

Paul.