[ANN] Idle v1.01

Thomas Lauer-3
Idle 1.01 released
------------------

I am happy to announce the release of Idle version 1.01. This is a
bugfix and documentation enhancement release.

See http://idle.thomaslauer.com for details about Idle and
http://idle.thomaslauer.com/IdleDownload.html for downloads.

This version is released under an MIT-style licence. It is available for
systems running Windows 2000 and later.

What is Idle?
-------------

Idle is an extremely compact scripting language based on Lua (see
http://www.lua.org ). Idle adds some language features to the mix,
offers a comprehensive runtime library and a compiler that produces
extremely small .exe files, both for the console and gui subsystems.

The Idle core library (idle03.dll, just 230 KB) supports, among many
other things, the following:

- a complete GUI module for simple dialog boxes
- pre-emptive multitasking (besides coroutines which are also supported)
- win32 enhancements: console window support, the ability to send
  keystrokes to other applications and manipulate windows and processes
- full Perl-compatible regular expressions
- mapping and reading of archive files (.zip and .7z files)
- a socket library for networking support (high- and low-level)
- a transparent just-in-time compiler backend which makes an already
  fast language even faster

Among the optional add-ons are the following libraries:

- embed live Perl code (supports dynamic loading of Perl modules)
- compile and execute C code on the fly
- complete SQLite 3 support

--
cheers  thomasl

web : http://thomaslauer.com/start

Re: [ANN] Idle v1.01

sagasw
Why no source code released?

blog: http://sunxiunan.com/
C++, Lua, living in Dalian
http://twitter.com/sagasw

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Thomas Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Idle 1.01 released
------------------

[...]

Matthew Wild
On 23 June 2010 03:45, sagasw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why no source code released?

Seems like this is an FAQ, #17 at http://idle.thomaslauer.com/IdleFAQ.html .

Matthew

Re: [ANN] Idle v1.01

Joe Finn
Hi Thomas

Three quick questions --

1. Can OS (win32) thread contain separate instances of Idle?
2. Can you call Idle from C++ code (managed code)?
3. Can Idle call .NET classes like in the LuaInterface project (that by the way doesnt work for me...)?
4. Can I use VS2010 Express to embed the Idle DLL in a C/C++ program?

Thanks!

--Joe

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Thomas Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Idle 1.01 released
------------------

[...]

I already did a limited source code release for some people with special
needs; it turned out that releasing source code is not as
straightforward as I thought. Additionally, I am off my machine for
extended periods of time; this doesn't help either.

But I will release the source code RSN;-) probably sometime in July.

Cheers Thomas

Joe Finn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Three quick questions --
>
> 1. Can OS (win32) thread contain separate instances of Idle?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

> 2. Can you call Idle from C++ code (managed code)?

Yes.

> 3. Can Idle call .NET classes like in the LuaInterface project (that by the
> way doesnt work for me...)?

Not out of the box, but this could be added.

> 4. Can I use VS2010 Express to embed the Idle DLL in a C/C++ program?

I assume with "embed" you mean calling functions in the Idle runtime
DLL? You can use whatever language/toolchain you want as long as it can
load a DLL and call its functions.

The interpreter is in itself a small C program that simply loads and
uses the Idle runtime DLL which contains all the "meat".