A book on floating-point

Dirk Laurie-2
In view of the recurrent posts on floating-point issues, I pass on an
announcement from this week's NA Digest:

2nd edition of "Handbook of Floating-Point Arithmetic" (Birkhauser,
2018), Authors: Muller, Brunie, de Dinechin, Jeannerod, Joldes,
Lefevre, Melquiond, Revol, and Torres.

Table of contents: Definitions and Basic Notions; Floating-Point
Formats and Environments; Basic Properties and Algorithms; Enhanced
Floating-Point Sums, Dot Products, and Polynomial Values; LLanguages
and Compilers; Algorithms for the Basic Operations; Hardware
Implementation of Floating-Point Arithmetic; Software Implementation
of Floating-Point Arithmetic; Evaluating Floating-Point Elementary
Functions; Complex Numbers; Interval Arithmetic; Verifying
Floating-Point Algorithms; Extending the Precision.

Birkhauser/Springer site for the 2nd edition:
https://www.springer.com/la/book/9783319765259

Disclaimer: I have not actually seen this book, not even the first edition.

AW: A book on floating-point

michaelflad
Also a great source of information are Bruce Dawsons Articles

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/category/floating-point/

Re: A book on floating-point

Albert Chan
On Jun 7, 2018, at 2:43 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:

In view of the recurrent posts on floating-point issues, I pass on an
announcement from this week's NA Digest:

2nd edition of "Handbook of Floating-Point Arithmetic" (Birkhauser,
2018), Authors: Muller, Brunie, de Dinechin, Jeannerod, Joldes,
Lefevre, Melquiond, Revol, and Torres.

Thanks for your last post on floating-point issue.

Yes, unspecified rounding is worse than extended precision rounding.
I keep saying "just pick one", but the Windows example probably kill it.

One of the author you mentioned, Vincent Lefèvre, also wrote
an article on issues with extended precision rounding [1]

Lefèvre is also a main developer in MPFR, an arbitrary precision C library
that that do correct rounding in arbitrary bits. [2]

[2] https://www.mpfr.org/credit.html

Re: A book on floating-point

Albert Chan
Just forward this for Henkel