5.3 manual

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

5.3 manual

Rodrigo Azevedo
Dear,

A simple point about the manual: the term 'closure' is used first at

3.4.4 – Relational Operators

but it was not defined before.

Could be possible to define 'closure' before its first usage on the manual?

--
Rodrigo Azevedo Moreira da Silva

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.3 manual

Coda Highland


On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 10:05 AM Rodrigo Azevedo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear,

A simple point about the manual: the term 'closure' is used first at

3.4.4 – Relational Operators

but it was not defined before.

Could be possible to define 'closure' before its first usage on the manual?

To be fair, the Lua manual doesn't define "function" or "variable" before their first uses either. There's a standard computer science definition for the term.

/s/ Adam
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.3 manual

Phil Leblanc
On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 4:37 PM Coda Highland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Could be possible to define 'closure' before its first usage on the manual?
>
> To be fair, the Lua manual doesn't define "function" or "variable" before their first uses either. There's a standard computer science definition for the term.

To be fair, you would certainly admit that there are more people
knowing about function and variables than people knowing what a
closure is :-)

Many users came to Lua in a scripting context (think for example
World of Warcraft). And not all of them have a CS background!

I think Rodrigo has a valid point here. Maybe the first use of
"closure" in section 3.4.4 could just link to an explanation in
another part of the manual?  (or to a reference to the PiL?)

(The same could also be said about "upvalue", which is used before
being defined in sect. 3.5)

Phil

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.3 manual

Roberto Ierusalimschy
In reply to this post by Rodrigo Azevedo
> A simple point about the manual: the term 'closure' is used first at
>
> 3.4.4 – Relational Operators
>
> but it was not defined before.
>
> Could be possible to define 'closure' before its first usage on the manual?

Corrections are welome, but the time to discuss improvements in the
5.3 manual passed a long time ago.  There is already a proposal for
the 5.4 manual online:

        http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html

-- Roberto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.3 manual

Phil Leblanc
On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 7:46 PM Roberto Ierusalimschy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Corrections are welome, but the time to discuss improvements in the
> 5.3 manual passed a long time ago.  There is already a proposal for
> the 5.4 manual online:

You are right. Looking for "closure" in the new manual shows that it
is now defined (3.4.11). I think the point remains valid for "upvalue"
which is defined in sect 3.5 and used before (2.2, 3.3.2).

A short reference could be added after "upvalue" first use in 2.2:
"(see §3.5)", or "see closure definition in §3.5)"

Phil

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.3 manual

Phil Leblanc
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 4:11 PM Phil Leblanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "(see §3.5)", or "see closure definition in §3.5)"

Errr... "see _upvalue_ definition in §3.5)"